I'm going to try the 4.1->4.9 conversion - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, I'm going to try the 4.1->4.9 conversion in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am a little bothered that I keep blowing the BCM fuse and think I should get another one to ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: I'm going to try the 4.1->4.9 conversion

I am a little bothered that I keep blowing the BCM fuse and think I should get another one to replace it. Drew do you have one in your pile? SERV NO 1226464

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Sorry man, I only have on BCM on hand with a Serv No. that doesn't match. I don't even know what it's from anymore - I must have forgotten to label it.

Okay NP. BTW just google "BCM nnnnnnnn" with the serv no and the ebay matches will tell you what it's from

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

1226464 is the service replacement BCM. It is normally shipped without a prom. It fits several years and models. 1985 to 1988 if i remember correctly. It fits the Coupe and Sedan Gas 4.1 V8 and Diesel 4.3 V6. You will be ok with any of the 85 to 88 BCM's as long as you check to make sure the Prom number is the same. If not, Transfer your Prom from the original in your car to the new BCM. I have done this many times. (Especially since the Diesel BCM is EXTREMELY rare.)

85-bcm-prom_small.jpg

Battery was nicely recharged overnight so we gave it a shot. It wanted to catch but wouldn't. Figured out the distributor was off by a tooth so we turned it a position and it started right up.

[youtube]_2-Aoe_TFbo[/youtube]

As you can tell from the smoke we have some mechanical problems that are keeping us from running the engine for very long, so I don't have anything to report other than the fact that it starts and idles. The belt is pulling against the water pump housing and from what we can tell it looks like the crank pulley is too far inwards, so we are going to shim the crank pulley by 1/8th inch. It's also dumping power steering fluid so we can't run it for more than a minute without the pump starting to scream, and that needs to be fixed asap. All of the shop bays were tied up this morning so the owner will do the work this evening or tomorrow morning, and then I'll go back to dialing it in.

Just because it starts and idles doesn't mean it will run good, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Kind of too late to ask now, but did you dyno/time/benchmark the car in any way beforehand to gauge the benefits? Not that you are looking for massive performance, but it would be nice to know what kind of gains (if any) you netted from all of this work

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

Starting is good! I wish i had a video of me starting my 85 Gas Coupe for the first time. It had sat for a long time with a stripped distributor gear. When i did get it started, There where 2 sticking intake valves (Due to gummy gas i believe). I had the air cleaner off. The explosions could be heard several blocks away. Sounded like some sort of automatic weapon. The flames where shooting way into the sky (sic). It was a bit funny to see a car that was designed to be so quiet and smooth making co much of a racket!

by the way i could use a few parts off of the old 4100. I am building up a replacement engine for the above mentioned car. I have quite a loud main bearing thump and low oil pressure. I am using an Allante 4.1 short block as a starting point. (Roller cam followers) I just purchased a set of 4.5 Heads and am looking for a 4.5 Intake Manifold.

I am looking for an Oil Filter Adapter that mounts right behind the distributor. Also possibly the Air Diverter valve and pump. I have some on there way but until i get them i have no idea what condition they are in or if there is anything missing.

Good luck with he testing!

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Kind of too late to ask now, but did you dyno/time/benchmark the car in any way beforehand to gauge the benefits?
    Nope. I really just wanted to reset the clock and wanted to upgrade while doing it. I'll be pissed if I don't feel more butt-dyno though

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca36606 View Post
    I am looking for an Oil Filter Adapter that mounts right behind the distributor. Also possibly the Air Diverter valve and pump.
    I used the 4.1 oil filter adapter on my setup because it had the correct orientation for the existing cooler lines, and the 4.9 adapter fittings were just different enough. I think I saved the 4.9 adapter but don't know for sure, if you want that I will go look for it and let you have it for postage.

I haven't had any other claims on the smog pump tumor so it's yours if you need it.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Nope. I really just wanted to reset the clock and wanted to upgrade while doing it. I'll be pissed if I don't feel more butt-dyno though
    I think you most certainly will once you get the fueling dialed in. There aint no replacement for displacement! I think the real test will be on the hydraulically controlled TH-440. Surely the 4T60E was beefed up to handle the 4.9's torque at least until the factory warranty ran out...

I agree. I just finished replacing the trans on a 1989 Eldorado earlier this spring. Granted, this car had 193k on it so it's not completely uncalled for, but 2-3 clutch pack was completely gone - steel on steel discs, clutch material completely missing. In fact, I found a section of clutch disc in the pan, and I'm still perplexed as to how it got down there in one piece. Also, I'm pretty sure the trans in my current '90 was replaced at some point before I got it. Old boss's 1988 Deville? Trans replaced just over 100k.

However, outside of the occasional shift solenoid, I have neither experienced nor heard of many '91+ 4T60E's with problems. All 4T60E's I've owned have operated flawlessly regardless of age or mileage.

Don't neglect the fluid, avoid frequent low speed/high torque WOT downshifts and you should be ok.

The tranny guys I've talked to said not to worry about it. The torque converter is the same part number for the 4T60 and 4T60-E, and if they didn't beef the torque converter then it should hold alright. The only real "problem" I have with mine now is a hard downshift to 2nd when the tranny is still cold (it's butter after it's warmed up) which is fixable with a small part and $2000 in labor. Everything else on it works great. I keep the fluid fresh.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Wow you got it running! I've been watching your progress lately, congratulations! I think you're going to be happy with the performance of the bigger displacement. I will say this however, I had a GMC pickup years ago with the TBI, I like the PFI much better on my 93. Too bad there is so much different. Hmm, I wonder what you would need to change it to a PFI? I think you'll be fine with your setup tho.

Did some more work on the car and got it to a point where I could drive it around. It drives wonderfully, there's a nice deep power well on it that's easy to tap. Still have a bunch of things on the to-do list though.

Yesterday I said the belt was riding on the back of the pulley and rubbing on the water pump housing and we concluded that the crank pulley was the problem. Today we brainstormed about it some and decided that it couldn't be the crank pulley, since it has a high enough torque that the bolt is forced to sit flush on the crank snout, and besides, all that stuff is original to the 4.9 block so none of it is different (not intentionally anyway). As a lark, we put a hardened washer in the crank pulley as a spacer, and with the bolt tightened down the belt does clear the water pump housing by a hair, but not a lot. Looking at things a bit more, I remembered that the water pump gasket was the thick fiber gasket that came with the AC Delco pump and not the thin paper type, and that may be contributing to the problem a little. Also, looking at the water pump pulley that I am using (which came from the donor 4.9) it appears that the belt has been riding off the rear of the pulley for a while, so maybe the stamped sheet metal pulley is just pulled in a bit and the belt is naturally riding off the back of it, which is worsened by the thick gasket. Long story short, we will try swapping on the pulley from my 4.1 tomorrow and see if the belt still gets sucked in towards the housing, if so we will look at replacing the water pump gasket with the thin paper style. As of right now, with the spacer in the crank pulley, the belt is not rubbing against the housing, but the crank pulley is free to walk in towards the snout so it might later.

Power steering leak was just the high-pressure fitting hadn't been tightened. Easy fix.

I had a vacuum leak in my cruise control, probably the vacuum switch on the brake pedal is holding the vent open but I don't care right now so I blocked off vacuum to the solenoid and will deal with it later. It's interesting how slowly the reservoir builds vacuum pressure. If I start the car then shut it off, some of the interior diaphragms get pissy and start flapping. The brake booster also takes a little longer to build up pressure.

Anyways once the vacuum leak was fixed I was able to set the ISC and TPS. I did it the simple way, removed the ISC from the car and drew the pintle back, then set the idle stop screw to 500 RPM while the ISC was still out of the car. Then I set the TPS to throttle angle zero so I could ignore all of the reference voltage crap, and then put the ISC back in the car and set the gap. It idles and runs good, and I have been having fun tearing up the highway by the shop in my tests.

I still need to set the base timing and replace the water pump pulley at the shop, and then can bring it home. I will fix all of the small little problems like cruise vacuum here.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Did some more work on the car and got it to a point where I could drive it around. It drives wonderfully, there's a nice deep power well on it that's easy to tap.

Yesterday I said the belt was riding on the back of the pulley and rubbing on the water pump housing and we concluded that the crank pulley was the problem. Today we brainstormed about it some and decided that it couldn't be the crank pulley, since it has a high enough torque that the bolt is forced to sit flush on the crank snout, and besides, all that stuff is original to the 4.9 block so none of it is different (not intentionally anyway). As a lark, we put a hardened washer in the crank pulley as a spacer, and with the bolt tightened down the belt does clear the water pump housing by a hair, but not a lot. Looking at things a bit more, I remembered that the water pump gasket was the thick fiber gasket that came with the AC Delco pump and not the thin paper type, and that may be contributing to the problem a little. Also, looking at the water pump pulley that I am using (which came from the donor 4.9) it appears that the belt has been riding off the rear of the pulley for a while, so maybe the stamped sheet metal pulley is just pulled in a bit and the belt is naturally riding off the back of it, which is worsened by the thick gasket. Long story short, we will try swapping on the pulley from my 4.1 tomorrow and see if the belt still gets sucked in towards the housing, if so we will look at replacing the water pump gasket with the thin paper style. As of right now, with the spacer in the crank pulley, the belt is not rubbing against the housing, but the crank pulley is free to walk in towards the snout so it might later.

It idles and runs good, and I have been having fun tearing up the highway by the shop in my tests.
    Have you checked the difference in alternators? Can't remember if you said you are using the 4.1 mount or the 4.9 alt. mount. Maybe the pulley on the 4.1 alternator isn't out as far as the 4.9. ???

Heheh got more power eh. I have no complaints about my 4.9 in the power department, definately will make the tires scream blood curdling hell breaking loose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.