'93 Eldorado, 4.9L - Bad Fuel Pump? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, '93 Eldorado, 4.9L - Bad Fuel Pump? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by HUF How long did it take to remove the seats? 2-4 minutes of pushing and tugging to ...
    kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

Re: '93 Eldorado, 4.9L - Bad Fuel Pump?

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    How long did it take to remove the seats?
    2-4 minutes of pushing and tugging to get the bottom seat out. Probably 5-10 minutes for the seat back......the seat back is held by 4 bolts.....2 as shown in the pictures (i.e. same bolts that hold the seatbelts) and 2 bolts that are accessible from inside the trunk. The 2 in the trunk have a gazzillion threads and I had to get fully inside the trunk to reach the bolts.

Another note...as mentioned in a previous post, before the surgery, I spent an afternoon at the junkyard to plan this thing out. During that afternoon, I was spent some time looking at the traditional method to replace the fuel pump and found the following:
    • Bolts for the exhaust shield difficult to reach.
    • Bolts for the tank straps difficult to reach.
    • Fill pipe difficult to remove and reconnect.
    • Difficult to lift the empty fuel tank (to be fair, I did not have a jack)
    I may be trying to rationalize the unconventional method that I choose to use, but really believe that replacing the fuel pump thru the floor board ended up being easier than dropping the tank. The entire procedure including seat removal, hole cutting, and fuel pump replacement took only 60-90 minutes. (add another 10 minutes to close up the bloodied knuckles from the sharp sheet metal!)

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kdcing View Post
    2-4 minutes of pushing and tugging to get the bottom seat out. Probably 5-10 minutes for the seat back......the seat back is held by 4 bolts.....2 as shown in the pictures (i.e. same bolts that hold the seatbelts) and 2 bolts that are accessible from inside the trunk. The 2 in the trunk have a gazzillion threads and I had to get fully inside the trunk to reach the bolts.

Another note...as mentioned in a previous post, before the surgery, I spent an afternoon at the junkyard to plan this thing out. During that afternoon, I was spent some time looking at the traditional method to replace the fuel pump and found the following:
    • Bolts for the exhaust shield difficult to reach.
    • Bolts for the tank straps difficult to reach.
    • Fill pipe difficult to remove and reconnect.
    • Difficult to lift the empty fuel tank (to be fair, I did not have a jack)
    I may be trying to rationalize the unconventional method that I choose to use, but really believe that replacing the fuel pump thru the floor board ended up being easier than dropping the tank. The entire procedure including seat removal, hole cutting, and fuel pump replacement took only 60-90 minutes. (add another 10 minutes to close up the bloodied knuckles from the sharp sheet metal!)
    Definitely sounds easier and faster particularly if you do not have a helper. Probably a dremel would do a cleaner cuts. Good job. My kind of man! lol

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

There are the other four pictures?

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    There are the other four pictures?
    Argghh....I had thought that I could safely delete the pics from the picture management window once the pictures were downloaded and attached to a post. I am out of space to store any further pictures.

I have the same thread going on the Eldorado/Seville portion of this forum. Have a look at the pictures there.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad-fuel-2.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.