Flowmaster Exhaust for a 4.9 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Flowmaster Exhaust for a 4.9 Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I own a 93' Sedan DeVille with the 4.9 and was interested in putting a flowmaster dual exhaust kit ...
    88devillecustom is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Flowmaster Exhaust for a 4.9 Deville

Hi,
    I own a 93' Sedan DeVille with the 4.9 and was interested in putting a flowmaster dual exhaust kit on it. Could someone please tell me what the difference is between the 40 series and the 80 series flowmaster? I dont want a seriously loud and annoying sound I just want a deep throaty tone to it. I'd really appreciate any advice on the best exhaust kit for my vehicle, thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Flowmaster Exhaust for a 4.9 Deville

40 will have much more of a raspy sound
    heres what an 80 sounds like

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

I've had a 40 series and i have an 80 series right now. teh 80 series has a more hollow-ish raw sound to it, while the 40 series is deep, loud, very aggressive, but drowny at 2000 rpms. I suggest an 80 series muffler.

Phoenix_sac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was thinking about getting a Flowmaster muffler myself - the Magnaflow I have right now is way too loud (IMO) and resonates pretty bad in the interior. I was thinking of going with either a Deltaflow 50 or a 50 Series SUV. Which would you guys think is better? I want it to sound kind of like a stock performance car (Like the 80's era Monte Carlo SS). Should I go with dual outlets or stick with the single?

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Phoenix_sac,
    I installed a Flowmaster Deltaflow 50 on my 88 Eldorado and have been very happy with it. I was looking for a muffler that would not increase the sound levels in my car and this muffler lived up to its claim. I also picked up a few ponies too. I stuck with a single outlet muffler to keep the car looking stock and low performance looking. I didn't want to give the car the big muffler tip / cop bait look. With dual outlets, you'll probably have to modify the rear valance a bit.

You can see the installation pictures here and some sound clips. The car still looks the same but I replaced the stupid wire hubcaps with some 17" wheels.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tion-pics.html

Phoenix_sac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Edahall -
    Thanks for the advice - that muffler does sound pretty good. I would love to hear a sound clip from inside the car of someone just driving normally around town. I heard a clip of an Explorer with the "5.0 litre" (actually a 4.9) running a 50 Series SUV muffler from the inside and it sounded nice and quiet, but I still don't know if that muffler would work on my car, and the only 50 Series Delta Flows I've heard have been from outside the car.
    I like the look of dual exhaust, but I like to keep it stock appearing with the downturned tips. That way I don't have to cut the rear valance and only Cadillac fans know that I have a custom exhaust. '89 to '93 DeVilles are just too conservative looking for me to get too wild with any mods. Unlike your Eldo - which looks *great* in that color, BTW.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

With the 50 Series Delta Flow, there was no difference in sound in the inside of the car from the stock muffler. The only time I could tell the difference was when the windows were open.

medicz28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 SDV / 94 Z28 Conv. 355

I have a 80 series flowmaster on my 93 SDV, it has a nice rumble to it, although the interior resonance is a bit loud sometimes. It's cool to see people do a double take when I go through parking lots, I guess you don't expect a caddy to have that kind of sound.

MrSeville4.9 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Seville 4.9, 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV 6.0

I got magnaflows on my 93caddy seville 4.9 and they sound good. Deep when you get on it, but quiet as soon as you get off. It is a cadillac, you dont want it to be too loud, in my opinion. But if you got the 4.9, it is a hog!

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

I put the Borla ProXS on my 4.1 and it sounds fantastic. It's not loud at all, but it has a nice low rumble that you can feel and hear when you are the only one around, and it makes a nice pop when you step on it to merge. Trucks with their flowmaster 40s still drown me out, and I don't hear it at all if the windows are closed (although I still feel it), just to give you an idea of the noise level.

Even better though is that Borlas have great flow to match the sound too, which was what most important to me. Throttle response was improved by about 5-10% according to the butt dyno.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.