Blown Head gasket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Blown Head gasket in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 92 STS with 185,000 miles on it. I was just told the head gasket needs to be ...
    2000ForrestGrnCatty is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS

Blown Head gasket

I have a 92 STS with 185,000 miles on it. I was just told the head gasket needs to be replaced. Car was given to me by a relative. My question is, I know the car isn't worth a lot at this point. Should I invest in getting this fixed, and what would be the cost? Thx for the replies. BTW, it has the 4.9 v8 if that matters any. This is the second Cadillac in a row that I've had issues with. the first was a Catera, that had engine problems that were too overwhelming for me to fix.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Re: Blown Head gasket

If you lived closer to me, I might offer you a couple hundred dollars for the car betting on the fact that it's an easy fix. First off, it is extremely rare for the 4.9L engine that's in your car to blow a headgasket. What symptoms are you having? Is your car using water? If that's the case, it's much more likely that the problem is a faulty intake manifold gasket. It's a $16.50 part and 18 bolts to take off the intake manifold.

Well....This mechanic that works for a Caddy dealer said he diagnosed it, and that it will blow it pretty soon. Antifreeze is in the engine block he says. He only charged me $40.00 to check it out, I just hope he didn't job me and got a late Christmas present. Like i said earlier, I've been having bad luck with Cadillacs. I don't want to put ungodly amounts of $$ in this car. It already needs suspension work, ( Struts, idler arms, etc...) I just wish someone could be truthful to me in regards to is it worth trying to fix. Interior is kinda ratty, but overall the car is in good shape physically for the miles. I got the car and have already put at least $1,500.00 dollars in it. I should have had it inspected before I took possession of it. Just tired of making bad decisions on used vehicles. I'm not in a position to acquire another car at this time.

Antifreeze in the block of a 4.9L engine is a classic symptom of a bad intake manifold gasket and most likely NOT a bad head gasket. It's a cheap EZ fix. If you're not in the position to acquire another car, change out the intake manifold gasket, change the oil and filter, put in new antifreeze and drive the car. Also, don't forget to add those sealant tablets into the coolant. There's a good chance these sealant tablets were not used so that is why you're having this problem now.

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

The 4.9L is a rather rock solid engine....if it is just the intake gasket, then dive in and fix it.

You may be able to confirm a leaking headgasket or intake by pressurizing the cooling system w/ a hand pump borrowed from AutoZone. The leak may be temp related, so realize that the gaskets could pass the leak down test at ambient outside temps but still leak at elevated operating temperatures.

Oh...btw...a Catera is not really a Cadillac, so consider the STS the 1st Cadillac that you've had problems with!

I just saw your other post from a few days ago where you indicated that the 4.9L occassionally stalls at stop lights. The Idle Speed Control Motor may not be opening the throttle as needed to prevent 0mph stalls. Search this forum for ISC and you should find the procedure for testing the ISC (i.e. open hood, start car, open throttle by hand to 2k rpm, with your other hand press the ISC's plunger in, watch ISC and determine if ISC retracts........or..........enter diagnostics and activate the ISC movement via the PS03 PCM Override.....watch for the extension and retraction of the ISC plunger.).

Btw, what other symptoms is your car exhibiting....at this point, the symptoms appear to be 0mph stalls and "antifreeze in the engine block".

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

yea sounds like the intake gasket, and the ISC motors are common, EZ fix but cost about $100, ive had that problem already. my car would actually gain speed at about 50 mph, with my foot off the gas, talk about scary...

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

I think we all feel your pain, but here's some advice: I would never buy a used car with 185,000 miles. You're running on borrowed time for just about every part.

I own 2, 1985 Cadillacs, and only paid $400 for one and $1000 for the other. I had to put about $800 in the first and $300 in the second, and now they run like new. And, they both have under 50,000 original miles.

Quote Originally Posted by awadecki View Post
    I would never buy a used car with 185,000 miles. You're running on borrowed time for just about every part.

I own 2, 1985 Cadillacs, and only paid $400 for one and $1000 for the other. I had to put about $800 in the first and $300 in the second, and now they run like new. And, they both have under 50,000 original miles.
    ...from ForrestGreen's original post, it appears that he/she had a better financial deal....i.e. a relative GAVE him/her the car. At $1.5k in repairs, it is still a deal...as long as the current problem is not the headgaskets.

In the 6.5 years/130k miles of owning my '93 Eldorado (4.9L), the repairs have totalled only $1969....ah, the value of wrenching on your car. Only 1,400 more miles and she'll role over the 200k mile mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    Antifreeze in the block of a 4.9L engine is a classic symptom of a bad intake manifold gasket and most likely NOT a bad head gasket. It's a cheap EZ fix. If you're not in the position to acquire another car, change out the intake manifold gasket, change the oil and filter, put in new antifreeze and drive the car. Also, don't forget to add those sealant tablets into the coolant. There's a good chance these sealant tablets were not used so that is why you're having this problem now.
    I just had the oil changed, and had the radiator flushed and new coolant put in. However, I didnt put the tablets in. You mean I have to repeat this again? I hope not. Thx for the advice everyone, You've been a big help.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Just crush the tablets up and add them to the radiator. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ForrestGrnCatty View Post
    I just had the oil changed, and had the radiator flushed and new coolant put in. However, I didnt put the tablets in. You mean I have to repeat this again? I hope not. Thx for the advice everyone, You've been a big help.
    Yes, for preventative maintenance, the coolant should be changed out every 2 years and new tablets as well.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Tablets are easy, just drop them into the radiator or overflow tank.

Take two and post again in the morning

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Tablets are easy, just drop them into the radiator or overflow tank.

Take two and post again in the morning
    I would not put them in the overflow to avoid plugging the narrow hose which connects the reservoire with the radiator neck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.