Poor gas mileage/Sensors, please help a bit!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Poor gas mileage/Sensors, please help a bit! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 91 Seville 4.9, and here's my problem. It's eating gas. I busted a sensor on the drivers ...
    wikked_magick45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 4.9L

Poor gas mileage/Sensors, please help a bit!

I have a 91 Seville 4.9, and here's my problem. It's eating gas. I busted a sensor on the drivers side of the rear head when I was doing spark plugs, I was told it was the temp sender, and was also told this is what's causing me to get less than 10MPG. Realistically, I have 151,000 miles, if I get it running really good, what type of mileage should I expect? Also, I have a *slight* miss my dad said the temp sender is causing. Since I have re-timed it, I don't know if it gets any worse, haven't driven it long enough to warm it up. Before, it ran great (with slght miss) and when it reached operating temp, it would stall and act like the timing was off if i didn't keep on the gas at a red light. When I put the computer in timing mode, it was so far advanced, I'm surprised it ran. I retimed it to 10 degrees, seems to be better. What kind of sensors other than 02 can cause the slight miss and God awful mileage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Poor gas mileage/Sensors, please help a bit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVUdO81brI

Video of the car, in this short drive it used 0.3 gallons of gas. If this explains just how poor my mileage is. I forgot to mention there aren't any codes for anything BUT the sensor on this, and something about the ISC (i *think* it was code 73).

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Most modern cars operate in two modes. The one that is in use most of the time is a closed loop, where the car looks at things like temperature, emissions, and other stuff, then tweaks itself accordingly. The other mode is stupid startup mode, where it basically relies on hard defaults, and it also tries to get into closed loop asap by doing things like using hot emission gases to help warm up the engine. Without the temperature sensor your car is in stupid startup mode all the time, will run like shit all the time, and will suck up gas like no tomorrow. Once you get your temp sensor straightened out you'll do a lot better.

lenny lincoln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Man I should start charging you guys for my help. First lets fix the slight miss. Recheck your plug wires and firing order. I dont know the firing order off hand of a 4.9 but you can find it and the rotation direction of the rotor and figure it out. You have Two wires misplaced. The item you broke is a $12 dollar item, replace it. Very important that the computer knows what is the operating temperature of the motor is to determine how much gas it is going to need. When you timed it did you follow the FSM ? If not go to your local library and copy the proper procedure and folow it with the inboard computer and jumpers. My 4.9 is getting 13.5 city driving 2.5 miles then shutting off and 27.3 at 70mph long cruises.

I just did plugs and wires very recently, and the firing order is labeled on the intake and the dist. cap, I'm 250% sure that's right. I'll get right onto replacing that sensor. Would those EGR tubes in the trottle body have anything to do with? I haven't even checked those out yet.

lenny lincoln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

a miss is a spark plug not firing. I have been turning wrenches for 20 yrs and still I had messed up on firing order and produced a miss. recheck. If it comes and goes its in the distributor. if its all the time, you have a bad plug, wire, or wrong routing of the wires

In my case with MPFI having a separate inj. for every cylinder, one might be messed up. I had this on an Eldorado 4.5, it had a bad computer so one injector refused to fire.

Okay update I managed to fix my sensor, and it changed my mileage drastically. I'm getting 14 city and 23 hwy, vs 4 city 10 hwy. Still missing a bit but the milage is way up. I opted to just repair my sensor, all I did was bust off the plastc housing that holds the connector in place. A little 60 second epoxy did the trick. Now since I've fixed it though, it don't take right off and start. It has to crank 5-7 seconds before hand, then fires right up.

By the way, thanks for the help guys. You have no idea how much I appreciate good people like you!

Replace the sensor. Your patch will fail.

Your poor start and running problems might just be a dirty fuel system. Run a few tanks of really good gas (Amoco 93 at a BP station for example) and run a bottle of system cleaner on your third or fourth tank. Don't use something too strong unless you go through a tank in a week or less of normal driving.

The patch job did work, surprisingly well! Now I fix that, and I drove a while, it was great. Today, it began to miss horribly, had 4 cylinder power, and you could smell raw gas. Only code I have is E071, Intermittent MAP sensor signal. Would this cause the miss to come back?

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Quote Originally Posted by lenny lincoln View Post

Man I should start charging you guys for my help
    I'll pay you or anyone else for a correct diagnosis. Check this out and advise the cure. Abandon hope all ye who enter here....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...even-idle.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAP_sensor

It could be that the MAP sensor is flooding the system. You might also have a busted fuel pump, or maybe an injector

Hmm... Well, I WAS going to replace that MAP sensor, till about a week ago the car ran fine. Only had a barely noticable miss once it warmed up and you were either at a light posted up or you were in overdrive under 55MPH. I drove the car to familys for christmas today, ran good. Started up and drove home, it ran like total SHIT again, cept this time absolutely NO codes. Same symptoms as before. Horrible miss, lack of power. But no codes. What should I check? It's cold out, I don't want to spend 4 hours weeding thru it in sub zero weather.

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

What did your old plugs look like? One a different color than the others? Did you keep track of which cylinder each one came from? That would be a good indicator of FI or ignition problems.

I dug into the computer the other night and it's reading 75 degrees n diagnostic mode when the motor is at 165-195 degrees. I'm stumped due to whatever is wrong with this not throwing a code. Whatever it is, it is missing full time, hot or cold, and the hotter the car gets, the worse the miss gets in my opinion. Here's the odd ball part - I put $5 worth of 87 octane in it last night because I was out of gas almost, and it actually seemed to run just a hair better. Wierd... I just want to get this running better so that when I get my lawsuit settlement soon I don't have to waste my money on it... I'm gonna take it to the dealership and have it serviced later on, and I don't want to pay them to replace things I can replace myself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.