No start, at operating temp, Flooding on restart
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, No start, at operating temp, Flooding on restart in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Allright it's a 90 Devill 4.5L. (68,000) NO CODES In the summer theres no problem. In the winter (45F and ...
    Zipfast is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

No start, at operating temp, Flooding on restart

Allright it's a 90 Devill 4.5L. (68,000) NO CODES

In the summer theres no problem.

In the winter (45F and below). When cold in the morning, (if) it fires up it runs outstanding. But if it doesn't start right away I have to put the gas
    pedel to the floor (clear flood) to get it to start.(some times)
    Also, if it doesen't I have to pull the plugs because there soaked with gas.
    Or let it set (if it is hot,wait 1 hour) if it cranked alot, over night and still may need to pull the plugs.
    If I pull the fuel pump fuse and let it run out of fuel (put the fuse back in) and it will start back up.

Anyhoo I was thinking the Coolant temp sensor....
    Any thoughts....

Ogh before anyone starts: new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, module, hall efect sensor (had a running problem, fixed if I can get it started)
    Fuel 43 psi, the pressure creaps down on shut down. To 30ish pounds in 3-4
    minutes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: No start, at operating temp, Flooding on restart

First check the sensors using the on-board diagnostic display. Make sure the coolant temp., intake air temp., and MAP sensor have reasonable pre-start values. When the engine is totally cold, the coolant temp and intake air temp. sensor should read about the same, and should equal the ambient temperature outside. Note that the parameters are displayed in Celsius, so you'll have to convert it to Fahrenheit to see if it makes sense (Celsius*9/5+32=Fahrenheit).

Also, depending on where you live, the MAP sensor should read about 90-100 kPa if you're at an elevation similar to Michigan (mine reads about 99kPa and I'm in the Detroit area). Make sure parameters P.0.2 and P.0.3 equal each other when the car is not running.

To check these, enter diagnostics by pressing and holding "Off" and "Warmer" until you see .7.0 on the Fuel Data Center. Then hit "Lo." Then check the MAP sensor (parameter P.0.2), the coolant temp. sensor (parameter P.0.4), and whatever parameter the IAT sensor is (can't remember).

Also, make sure that the ISC is extending to enable a fast idle, otherwise you'll flood the car trying to start it. Do this by checking the TPS sensor value (parameter P.0.1). When it's cold outside, i.e. below 50 degrees, my TPS reads about 8 on cold start up.

Another issue: perhaps your TPS is not set properly, and hence, your ISC is not extending enough to enable a fast idle. Even if it reads 8 or so pre-start up, this might be a "false reading" because the TPS is misadjusted. To check this, try cranking the car with your foot on the accelerator about 1/8-1/4 of the way down. See if your car starts. If it does, your TPS may be misadjusted, or you might have an ISC issue.

Is that enough? Let us know if that helps.

Thanks Awadecki:

I'll check today (play all day), and report back tonight.

Update: Also all sensors report allright.
    When it will not start there's no spark and it popped a code 12 so.....
    There's something heating up that cuts power to the coil go figure.
    I didn't check yet if it is in the dist. or if it doesen't have power TOO the dist.
    Either way I'll let you know.

Could be the ignition module or hall effect sensor giving you issues. Not sure which was used in 1990, but perhaps someone else can help you here. At least you know it's a spark issue now

Well I put a hall effect sensor in it because there was a code, which went away. As for the module been there done that...

Now what-ever is causing it croked now theres no spark ever.
    How would you check to see if the computer is toast?
    When I try to get sensor data, say 1 TPS it reads 9.6 and doesen't move with the pedal (had been 7.5 and would move) and 2 Map and 3 Bar also read 9.6

What does the vats (or whatever, the resistor in the key) cut out spark or fuel?

Oh wow. If the TPS isn't moving with the pedal, and the MAP reads the same as the TPS, it sounds like your ECM crapped out. Tap on it and see if the car starts.

Talking Re: No start, at operating temp, Flooding on restart

Update:
    You will not belive this BUT.
    5 modules later the car runs.
    Module 1 GM toast, orignal (7 pin)
    Module 2 GM toast, came in the new distributor.
    Module 3-4 new aftermarket, toast (don't rember brand had on shelf)
    Module 5 GP sorinsen (advance) they didn't stock a GM.

All the checks I was doing said the module was bad but when removed and checked on a module checker numbers 3-4 said they were good, only they don't work in the car.

As for the computer that doesen't put out the sensor data it runs may be the interface to the desplay?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.