Help Ecm/PCM Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Help Ecm/PCM Questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 92 Seville With a 4.9 Im getting Loss of PCM Data Were is the power train control ...
    frizz3333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Help Ecm/PCM Questions

I have a 92 Seville With a 4.9 Im getting Loss of PCM Data Were is the power train control module and is that the same thing as the body module and the ECM if not were all those located the car runs great then all at once the service engine soon light will come on and it acts sluggish and missfires i lose the fuel avrage gauge and the speedo flat lines. I plug the OBD tester in the plug under the seat and turn the key in the one position and it says it cant comunicate with my ecm but when i push the warm and off button i get code IO39 and Code I034. And would the computer work then not work then work again. If someone could tell me tje location of these componets that would be great I dont think its a ground problem but im check to make sure the starter to body ground is nice and clean to see if that helps the problem.

IO39 Loss of RoadSending suspension Data

IO34 Loss of Power Train Control Module

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help Ecm/PCM Questions

Well i loosened the ECM under the glove box and i can cause the problem to start and stop by tapping the ecm box with a wrench So i think i found the problem symptoms were Was Code I034 Service engine light would come on transmision would feel week and the car would run rough. The speedo and fuel avrage would flat line.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Definitely possible. On those cars the communication systems were very hard to diagnose.
    Due to the design of the data bus it can be a real trick to figure out which module is actually causing the issue. It sounds like you might be on to something, and thank God if that is it. I won't even tell you horror stories about working on cars of that time frame with communication issues.
    It can be bad.

Im usually Pretty good with auto eclictrical diagnostics and i noticed alot of people have the same symptoms i had but never really got a clear answer only bad thing now is if i get a computer off ebay or somthing i hope that takes care of the problem does anyone know if I have to take the chip out of my Ecm and put it in the new one or do i just plug the knew one in and the car will learn and reprogram new computer it self?

You need to swap your PROM into the new computer.

Thanks thats kinda what i thought what exactly is the purpose of that is it somthing with the security system or does each Cadillac run diffrently from the next?

The calibrations in the PROM are based on things like final drive ratio, tire size, emissions equipment and what have you (as an example)
    There are several different PROM IDs for each production year based on options.
    The one you get could be the same, but it may well be different. Best to swap the PROM out to be sure the base cals are right for your specific vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.