HT4100 chosen as one of the worst engines of all time
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 chosen as one of the worst engines of all time in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; link ! I think Jasper has fixed some of the problems that are mentioned but they still have the mismatched ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

HT4100 chosen as one of the worst engines of all time

link!

I think Jasper has fixed some of the problems that are mentioned but they still have the mismatched materials problem. If you want one of these for long-term use then you probably need to get aluminum heads fabricated.

A stroker kit and some other basic mods would probably put it over 200 HP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wikid65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: HT4100 chosen as one of the worst engines of all time

HT 4100 is the worst engine ever?? Can't be!!! There were a lot of engines worse than those!! Like the .. um... well.. gimme a minute.. it's coming to me.. there has to be a worse engine than that!!! Not!!!!!

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Here's my list of engines (in no particular order) that are worse than the HT4100:

1. Chevy Vega 4-cylinder engine
    2. Any Ford 4-cylinder engine before 2000 (yes, any)
    3. Ford 3.8L V-6 (big head gasket leaker)
    4. Chrysler/Mitsubishi 2.6L 4-cylinder (did they ever run right?)
    5. Chrysler 2.7L V-6 (good luck getting one past 60,000: snapped timing belts, pinhole sized oil drainback holes, leaky internal water pumps)--this engine is a disaster.
    6. Post-1996 Northstar engines: GM tinkered with a great thing, cheapened it, and in the process ruined it. Post-1996 N*'s are known for consuming 8 qts/day of oil, blowing head gaskets, oil pan leaks, and a host of electrical problems that didn't exist on 1993-1995 engines.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Cadillac/oldsmovile gas engine they converted to Diesel

SlxAlxx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by awadecki View Post
    Here's my list of engines (in no particular order) that are worse than the HT4100:

1. Chevy Vega 4-cylinder engine
    2. Any Ford 4-cylinder engine before 2000 (yes, any)
    3. Ford 3.8L V-6 (big head gasket leaker)
    4. Chrysler/Mitsubishi 2.6L 4-cylinder (did they ever run right?)
    5. Chrysler 2.7L V-6 (good luck getting one past 60,000: snapped timing belts, pinhole sized oil drainback holes, leaky internal water pumps)--this engine is a disaster.
    6. Post-1996 Northstar engines: GM tinkered with a great thing, cheapened it, and in the process ruined it. Post-1996 N*'s are known for consuming 8 qts/day of oil, blowing head gaskets, oil pan leaks, and a host of electrical problems that didn't exist on 1993-1995 engines.
    Don't forget about the Chrysler/Mitsubishi 3.0L V6. Every engine at exactly 80k miles would blow valve rings and head gaskets.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

I think the post-1980 Olds diesels were just fine (those with the DX block). Even the 4.3L V6 diesel in the 1985 Cadillac was pretty good. The 1978 and 1979 models were not much to brag about, though. My first car was a 1979 Cadillac Seville diesel that actually never let me down. I loved that car. It's how I got hooked on Cadillacs.

It's easy to drive a fast car rapidly; it's very hard to maintain 65 mph in a 4200+ lb. carwith only 120hp!

daedalus__ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my lord i bought an 85 fleetwood last october that has a 4.1 in it and it has been taking a perpetual shit ever since. today the serpentine belt slipped, i put it back on and the pulley for the water pump BROKE OFF. wowzar

The water pump was already broken, which is why the belt slipped off. The pump on the HT4100 is pure crap--I've replaced mine three times at least.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

well dad drive an ht4100 for 10 years with NO QUESTION's whatso ever, 300,000km's 2 yrs ago when we sold and new owner finally blew the original tranny, and the car is still running and driving with no questions, i know because i do the maintenance on it
    i've been driving the shit (not very hard, but pretty heavy foot) out of my 87 deville 4100 with adavnced timing, MSD igniton parts (everything but ignition box), 91 gas, and custom cone intake, it has alot of power, even on the highway, and it never let me down. I've pushed it past 4000rpms while going 178 kilometers and hour, and i got there pretty damn quick. Everytime wetehr off line or highway driving i WOT it and she pulls nicely and sounds real badass.

My 4100 has always been pretty good on the highway, no problems reaching ~80 cruising speed or passing on hills. She is pretty robust in town too now that I've cleaned the gunk out stabilized the oil loss (just checked the dipstick today--the oil is a beautiful color). She still has some minor problems, and the history on this one mean limited future options, so I'm trying to plot out a 10-year replacement. I'm hoping to come up with a sleeper that looks like an HT4100 but is much more inside, and dress her up so that she is as pretty as she is solid. I think it's possible to make a 200 HP powerplant, although it's probably going to require some one-off parts and fabrication. Anyway it seems to me that this could be a really solid engine if GM had just done a few things different, but a little bit of neglect goes a long way with the stock box.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

well just quickly to those that haven't seen my creation, here is my 1987 deville built strictly by me. And i will stand by the fact that the HT4100 is not the worst engine ever built. Period.
    Attached Images

*claws out eyes*

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

I've been hearing and reading these broad-brush statements about the 4100 since 1983. Now that I've owned one for three years, my opinion is much different.

From a strict numbers standpoint, the warranty claim rate of the 4100 wasn't much higher than any other GM engine. However, the nature of the claims was frequently catastrophic failure.

Don't get me wrong, the design of the early RWD application of the 4100 was flawed - seriously flawed. The reason for the high failure rate was a social/mechanical irony: when the gaskets began allowing oil and coolant to mix, there was no warning - unless the owner checked the dipstick frequently. The acidic witches brew that formed took out cam lobes and mains quickly and quietly. Now ask yourself, how many Cadillacs have you seen at the gas pump with the hood up, while the well-dressed owner checks the oil?

The reason so many media types hammer(ed) the 4100 is twofold: We set a higher standard for a marque like Cadillac, and for the last 25 years it's been very fashionable to bash anything from Detroit. You've never seen glee like an automotive writer discovering a flaw in American engineering.

You want to talk crappy engines and maintenance nightmares? Ask any owner of an XJS-V12 Jag about his repair bills. What about the first generation "new" VW Beetles? Or for that matter, how many 1995-2004 Camry V-6s went to an early grave, suffocated by sludge?

ht4100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 88 Eldorado Biarritz, 92 Allante, 93 Seville 4.9L

I second the 2.7L dodge engine that is in 98-? intrepids, concordes, etc. These engines are terrible!!! The junkyard around where I'm at wants 1800 for one with 118k miles on it because they're so rare.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.