What's so great about the 4.9 engine?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, What's so great about the 4.9 engine? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Is it better than the Northstar? Why? How much power/torque does it have? I'm just curious, really... I'd like to ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Question What's so great about the 4.9 engine?

Is it better than the Northstar? Why? How much power/torque does it have? I'm just curious, really... I'd like to know more about it...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    "Better" is a subjective term. The Northstar is a fantastic engine, but its also about 10 years newer - a lot happens in engine design in a decade.

Some numbers:

1991 4.9
    200HP@4100rpm
    275ft-lbs@3000rpm

1997 NS
    275HP@5600rpm
    300ft-lbs@4000rpm
    -or-
    300HP@6000rpm
    300ft-lbs@4000rpm

The 4.9 is a standard two-valve pushrod engine. The NS is a four-valve OHC. The NS has higher peak torque and HP numbers, but they happen higher up in the revs. Displacement is a wash, as Cadillac was getting essentially the same 4.9 numbers out of the 4.5 in the Allante with tuned-port injection.

The 4.9 used throttle body injection or direct port on a cast manifold, the NS is essentially tuned port injected, with long runners.

4.9 used a single-coil electronic distributor, NS is fully electronic ignition with multiple coils.

4.9 was mated to the 4t60, NS always came on the 4t80. The 4t80 is a big part of handling that increased hp/torque on a heavy FWD car.

FWIW, I've heard that the 4.x series can be pushed to 300hp without much fuss, but the 4t60s couldn't handle the corresponding torque increase with acceptable longevity so it was never done.

I don't know about the NS, but the 4.x series of engines is an aluminum block with cast iron cylinder sleeves. So, the original 4.1 engine had larger sleeves installed with correspondingly larger pistons, and became the 4.5. Replacing the crank and rods on the 4.5 stroked it to 4.9.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Great post
    And you're right, in this case "best" is DEFINATELY a subjective term.
    As was just pointed out, the NS is quite a bit more powerful on paper but in the REAL world, the SOTP performance difference isn't huge. The reason is probably found in the power curve difference. The NS does produce more peak power but down in the "normal" rev range where most people are likely to spend MOST of their driving time, the two become much closer. I can't say for sure since I don't have the dyno charts to compare but, these kind of comparisons sometimes show the engine with LOWER peak power, actually has HIGHER power in the normal low to mid-range. I know several people that have both 4.9 and 4.6 engines that swear the 4.9 feels every bit as strong in most cases. But the specs don't lie. The bragging rights go to the NS.

In my experience, the true reason many people like the 4.9 better is it's reliability.

Also, as the old adage goes "Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races". The torque figures are pretty darned close on the two engines in the useable rpm band.

4.9s are also relatively cheaper, although there are zero performance parts out there.

I do love that N* engine though...

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    the 4.9 is basically a HT-4100? the HT4100 was such a bad engine.... how did they work out all the problems for the 4.9?

could the 4t80 tranny be mated to a 4.9, or not? or is there a way to make the 4t60 more heavy duty?

Is the HT-4100 the transverse 4.1? I know there was a longitudal 4.1 that may or may not have been the same engine.

I'm not sure what can be done to the 4t60. Cadillac modified the 440t4 in the Allante and called it the F7. The 4t65 is supposedly a better version of the 4t60, but (I think) the 4t65 and 4t80 both require powertrain control modules to manage the transaxle. I think (and I could be wrong) 4t60s are electronically shifted, but not electronically controlled.

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Originally posted by ckucia
    Also, as the old adage goes "Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races".
    That makes me curious. Who would win a race between a 8.1 litre Suburban making 340 horses and I dont know how much torque, but more, and a 6.0 litre 345 hp Escalade with 380 ft-lbs torque? I'm not sure which would weigh more, cause the Suburban has more body and the Escalade has more heavy computers and gadgets.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Don't pushrods have more low-end torque, whereas multiple-valve engines have to rev to get more.

Originally posted by Ralph
    Don't pushrods have more low-end torque, whereas multiple-valve engines have to rev to get more.
    Generally speaking, yes.

Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
    That makes me curious. Who would win a race between a 8.1 litre Suburban making 340 horses and I dont know how much torque, but more, and a 6.0 litre 345 hp Escalade with 380 ft-lbs torque? I'm not sure which would weigh more, cause the Suburban has more body and the Escalade has more heavy computers and gadgets.
    There's too many variables in that scenario to say for sure.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille
    n00b question - the 4.9 is carburated, correct?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Port fuel injected!

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I dont understand why an engine with 4 valves in one cylinder has less power down low than an engine with 2 valves in one cylinder. It seems like there would be greater exhaust and intake flow which means more power. Someone educate me about this

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille
    Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
    I dont understand why an engine with 4 valves in one cylinder has less power down low than an engine with 2 valves in one cylinder. It seems like there would be greater exhaust and intake flow which means more power. Someone educate me about this
    Reason = GM

'nuff said

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.