Valves too far in advance or too far retarded?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Valves too far in advance or too far retarded? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I know that this is a Cadallac forum and I use it for my 1992 Seville, BUT, I have an ...
    forrest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Seville

Valves too far in advance or too far retarded?

I know that this is a Cadallac forum and I use it for my 1992 Seville, BUT, I have an urgent problem with my Honda. Trying to get the camshaft syncronized with the crankshaft. You guys are great with engines and the same principles should apply to my problem. My timing belt broke on my 1989 Accord SEI. I guess it's a two liter fuel
    injected. I managed to get it apart and get the new belt on. I got lucky and
    didn't have any bent valves. The problem is figuring out where TDC is, so as
    to be able to synchronize the cam and crank shafts. I have three books and
    none of them show what the actual marks look like. Looking through the
    little peep hole at them, I can see on the advanced side about three hash
    marks, one of them red. Then as you go to the retard side there is a (0)
    with no hash mark at all and then farther over to the retard side is another
    mark or so. Why in hell can't they just have TDC and a mark next to it? If
    it wasn't a solo job I guess I could try the stick in the spark plug hole to
    find TDC. I've never done that and am a little afraid of crunching it in the
    cylinder.

Anywhoooo ... I got it running, set the timing and took it for a drive
    around the block and thought it was OK. I let my son drive it 90 miles to
    school and back this morning. He said that it didn't run right, so I tried
    it out again. It runs like it's way under powered and has a bogging down
    sound when you accelerate, as well as pinging. I guess I'm probably a tooth
    off one way or the other. Any ideas or thoughts on this? Which way too far is it,
    and am I gonna burn the valves up if I let him drive it this way again? Thanks in advance, for any and all
    responses. And I appologize for using this forum but I have to get it running quickly and the Honda forum is pretty dead. Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Valves too far in advance or too far retarded?

If there is no help here, there must be a Honda forum with some real Honda experts. A factory service manual is the best way to work on any car. Haynes and Chiltons are minimal help. I wonder if it may have a slightly bent valve. You might want to check the compression just to see what it is. If the cam itiming is off a little the compression might be low too. I don't know many vehicles that will run being a tooth off but I'm sure it's possible with some cars. Good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.