90 Seville, Code E041
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 90 Seville, Code E041 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello out there in Caddy Land. New Member, first time post. :rolleyes2 I'm having problems with my '90 Seville, 4.5 ...
    Dave D. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 90 Seville, Code E041

Hello out there in Caddy Land. New Member, first time post. :rolleyes2
    I'm having problems with my '90 Seville, 4.5 engine. The problem is an intermittent check engine light accompanied by a code E041, usually on cold startup. Experiencing slight miss, stall, excess gas consumption and poor drivability. Mostly when engine is cold and after driving about 20 minutes or so it will clear up, but occasionally acts up when operating temp. is reached. Engine will stall while driving.
    I have checked the following... Cat converter (not plugged), CMP sensor (removed and checked), Ignition Control Module (replaced), Altenator (replaced, mostly because it got noisy), EGR works as it should. EGR tubes and throttle body cleaned and relearn done. Cap and rotor ok, Plugs replaced with Bosch platinum. Pcv is ok, No Thermac on this model or I would consider that a possiblity and lastly added some drygas just for measure. Unsure of what to try next. Any help would be welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aguthmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 1998 Seville STS, 2001 Seville SLS

Re: 90 Seville, Code E041

E041 - No Cam Sensor Signal.

Just replaced my cam sensor in my 92 Eldo w/ 4.9L. It's in the same place on yours (with a 4.5L) -- it is under the plate that under the rotor in your distributor. It's two screws to get it out and it just unplugs. It's like a $100 part. Tell the parts shop you're looking for the "hall effect switch". It's a hall-effect type cam sensor and for some reason that's how it's listed everywhere (Checker, Autozone, Napa, etc).
    Here's a link on cskauto.com with a picture it's only like a 1/2" tall and 1" wide. http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...pe=200&PTSet=A
    My symptoms where slight miss and very high idle when cold. Decreased gas milage, and usually a SES light on idle or low RPMs, most often when cold.

Thanks for the info. I've already tested the cam position sensor and found no problem per the specs in the Haynes manual. All readings were within the limits.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Uh...if it is setting the cam postition sensor code then it is not seeing the cam position sensor....either something in the circuit from the ECM to the cam position sensor is disconnected/shorted/broken or the sensor is intermittant. If the wiring connector and wires to the cam position sensor are OK and look good I would recommend replacing the cam position sensor. I would trust the onboard diagnostics before I would trust Haynes.....

MusicCity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm having the same problems with my 90 Deville. Same code, running rough, missing, and stalling. I picked up a new switch but before I attempted anything(I'm green at autorepair), I wanted to make sure I didn't go in there and mess something up. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery when working with the distributor or can I just unplug it? Do I need to mark, and make sure everything is exactly lined up when removing the cap and rotor? Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicCity
    I'm having the same problems with my 90 Deville. Same code, running rough, missing, and stalling. I picked up a new switch but before I attempted anything(I'm green at autorepair), I wanted to make sure I didn't go in there and mess something up. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery when working with the distributor or can I just unplug it? Do I need to mark, and make sure everything is exactly lined up when removing the cap and rotor? Any help will be appreciated.
    The cam position sensor is on the base of the distributor....below the cap. It is not necessary to remove the cap nor the rotor to replace the cam position sensor.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to disconnect the negative battey terminal when doing any work underhood...just for safety. I would recommend it, yes. There is nothing specific to the cam position sensor that requires the battery be disconnected if the key is off, though.

Nothing to set or adjust or mark or anything when replacing the cam position sensor. Just R&R the sensor. That is the small, squarish cover on the lump that is located on the base of the distributor shaft, right??? No something that is under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Uh...if it is setting the cam postition sensor code then it is not seeing the cam position sensor....either something in the circuit from the ECM to the cam position sensor is disconnected/shorted/broken or the sensor is intermittant. If the wiring connector and wires to the cam position sensor are OK and look good I would recommend replacing the cam position sensor. I would trust the onboard diagnostics before I would trust Haynes.....
    Took your advice and replaced CPM, seems to have taken care of the problem, thanks. I do have one more problem with a steady miss both at idle and while driving. Timing is per spec 10 degrees BTDC, new plugs, cap, rotor. While checking readings on coil in cap, all readings were kosher except the secondary reading for the tach lead. This gave no reading at all, no resistance, no infinite, just dead. Would this cause the miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D.

Took your advice and replaced CPM, seems to have taken care of the problem, thanks. I do have one more problem with a steady miss both at idle and while driving. Timing is per spec 10 degrees BTDC, new plugs, cap, rotor. While checking readings on coil in cap, all readings were kosher except the secondary reading for the tach lead. This gave no reading at all, no resistance, no infinite, just dead. Would this cause the miss.
    You didn't mention the plug wires...?? Are they new/good/original...?? Since most everything else is new making those parts less suspect I would check the wires carefully. check each one for resistence with a VOM..they should all compare correcting for length. Check with the VOM from one metal terminal inside the boot to the other... Sometimes the inner conductor of the spark plug cable can be broken and/or burn out from under the metal terminal crimped onto the end of the wire so that it is not making connection. You can also mist the spark plug wires with water from a spray/mist bottle...do it in a dark place and watch for arcs and sparks....

If the ignition checks out it might be time to run a compression check to rule out any mechanical problems.

MusicCity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Last post on this subject for me. I replaced the cam sensor on my 1990 Deville, which in fact is located by removing the distributor cap and rotor. The code is gone, and my car is running pretty damn good. For the last time I'll thank aguthmiller for the info. I got the hall effect switch from RockAuto. First time I purchased anything from them and they were on point for a few dollars less. I was suprised how such a little thing could wreak so much havok. The car was undriveable when it went bad. So anyways thats my update.

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D.

Bosch Platnium Spark Plugs in a Cadillac engine ? I have alway's had good luck with the AC Delco spark plugs > Maybe one or more of your spark plugs are fouled causing the missfire. As bbob stated the ignition wires could be at falt also, but my "guess" is the spark plugs. Let us know when you find out ok.

Changed out the plug wires and plugs, no difference. Now I'm pulling codes E044 and EO46. Which is the right bank?, front or rear?. Also tried to change the fuel filter with no luck, the press tabs won't release the connections and there's no room to get to the top connection. I'm beginning to believe the caddy engineers had nightmares and applied them to some of the outfitting in this engine.

The right bank is the rear bank of cylinders.

Thanks bbob. I should have known that but had a brain freeze. This is the first car I've had with transverse engine and front drive, Last car was an '82 vette before my boy totalled it. Got this one for the ride.

porman2 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

This information helped me fix my e041 code. Took me about an hour to change out the hall effect switch under the cap and rotor cost was 110.00 from napa. Thank YOU!!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.