Decking out my 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Decking out my 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am looking to purchase a 1992 Cadillac Eldorado and I was wondering if any one could tell me were ...
    Chicano-Mexicano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Sports Coupe

(I need help) Decking out my 4.9

I am looking to purchase a 1992 Cadillac Eldorado and I was wondering if any one could tell me were I could obtain a few specific performance parts for the engine.

1.Is their a supercharger for that engine or could I just use a supercharger for the Pontiac 3.8?

2. Were can I find a cold air intake for it.

3. Is their a fuel injection manifold for it so I can replace that BS carb/spritzer they have from the factory. (would like better fuel millage and performance)

and on a completely random note is it possible to retard the timing slightly so the engine can run happily on regular octane cause as a 19 year old college student premium fuel is a little bit out of my expenses. Positive feed back would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Decking out my 4.9

No one can help me at all!

SlxAlxx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I can partly answer your questions.

1.No supercharger for the 4.9

2. If you want one, it has to be custom made.

3. The 4.9 has multi-port fuel injection. Cadillac abolished carburetors from mainstream vehicles in 1982.

4. No way to retard the timing enough without doing some damage. The 4.9 was built for running on high octane gas.

As one of your peers (a 19 year old College student), I recommend you look for something else. The modifications you want are not wallet busting, besides the supercharger, but they're not college-kid budget-friendly. If you're really hardheaded such as myself and must have a Cadillac, go for the '88-'89 with the 4.5. It has throttle body fuel injection so it runs on regular unleaded and is very reliable. I've had two cars with that motor and they were wonderful. Off-the-line acceleration was wonderful as well due the 240 lb. ft. of torque maxing at 2800rpm.

Well thanks for the reply but I'm not really attracted to the 88-89 eldo (to boxy and small) but I've heard that you can retard the timing slightly with out causing any damage (I could have sworn some one said that it was in the owners manual) but I really don't know for sure and I could have sworn that the 92 had that junkie card/spritzer that the 4.1 had (my dad had and 84 coupe Deville) but thanks ese i really appreciate the help.

SlxAlxx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

No problem. I agree with you on the appearance of the '88-'89 Eldorado. If it's your taste, you could try an '89 Coupe deVille. It shares some style with the '92. The compression ratio on the 4.9 is high for more power, and that's the way the motor was designed. If you want power, I got ir out of my 4.5 by mashing the accelerator on the interstate. I was playing a game of hide and go seek with an Infiniti G35 (I won) on my way back from Miami. Ever since, the car burned rubber from a stop and had a nice growl. The fuel economy improved drastically as well.

I think I'll stick with the 92 Eldorado's ese they just got that style but I dig what your saying' about the requirement for premium fuel but I've heard from a few people that it can be done with out any serious damage (not sure what kind though) but I was thinking of calling my local GM shop on Monday (get my phone back form the shop) to get the specifics. You think blowing a infinity away is fun try a 95 BMW coupe when your test driving a 1993 Eldo with the 4.9 now thats fun.

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

Re: (I need help) Decking out my 4.9

I suppose I could be helpful here...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicano-Mexicano View Post
    I am looking to purchase a 1992 Cadillac Eldorado and I was wondering if any one could tell me were I could obtain a few specific performance parts for the engine.

1.Is their a supercharger for that engine or could I just use a supercharger for the Pontiac 3.8?
    No, there is no supercharger for the engine, nor is there a way to easily do it. Turbocharging the 4.9 is easier and it still has many complications - Just ask illumina, the other resident 4.9 performance guy.

2. Were can I find a cold air intake for it.
    There are several options. One is to use an angled piece of pipe from a tuning shop, another is look up Evoluzione Engineering, the final is make it yourself. Making intakes is not terribly hard, but not especially easy either.

3. Is their a fuel injection manifold for it so I can replace that BS carb/spritzer they have from the factory. (would like better fuel millage and performance)
    All cars from 91 onward were 4.9 liter Sequential Electronic Point Fuel Injection (Better than batch fire MPFI). The stock system is PLENTY for any mod you could ever do - Just ask the turbo 4.9 Fiero guys running stock injectors with 300+whp.

and on a completely random note is it possible to retard the timing slightly so the engine can run happily on regular octane cause as a 19 year old college student premium fuel is a little bit out of my expenses. Positive feed back would be appreciated.
    Yes, it IS possible, but here's my question - Retarding the timing will also give you less power (possibly significantly less), and defeat the purpose of modifying the engine in the first place. You CAN run midgrade or even low test in a 4.9, but if you had mods done to your car, it would just be pointless. Save yourself the trouble and run premium and ditch the idea of a $3,000+ supercharger setup. In fact, one of the easiest ways to get free power out of a 4.9 is to advance the timing - It can easily net 5-10hp if everything is in good working order and you've got 93 octane where you live.

Eng
    Eng is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Seville

Will using mid grade (89 octane) or low grade (87 octane) without changing the timing hurt anything? My purpose for doing this is to save money, so if I lose enough power by using non-premium fuel, I may end up costing myself more. I also don't want to reduce the life of the engine by using low or mid-grade gas. (I have a 4.9 L, 1992 Seville)

wikked_magick45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 4.9L

Just so you know, even though you're on a *budget*, running standard gas vs. premium will only save you $4 per fill up. Not really worth knocking 20HP off your motor, is it? Besides, when your timing is all in order and you use premium, I noticed better mileage. My timing is set to 14 degrees (4 degrees advanced from stock) and I ran so-so on 87. Big difference in power though! Call me crazy but here's another thought - I filled up at a Sunoco station. I used 4 gallons of 100 octane and 12 gallons of premium. Talk about a hell of a boost... But it ruins the injectors unless you KEEP running 100 octane, and that shit is $6 a gallon!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.