'93 Eldorado 4.9L - P012 & P053 Codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, '93 Eldorado 4.9L - P012 & P053 Codes in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1993 Eldorado 4.9L. Car has been running fine until today.....I was driving down a side street (~15mph)...then the engine stopped ...
    kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

'93 Eldorado 4.9L - P012 & P053 Codes

1993 Eldorado 4.9L. Car has been running fine until today.....I was driving down a side street (~15mph)...then the engine stopped running. I have all electrical (i.e. lights turn on, radio turns on, starter engages and cranks), however, the engine will not fire.

I am getting codes P012 & P053 which appear to be related to a "distributor signal". Does anyone know what part would typically cause a no start condition and would trigger codes P012 & P053?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: '93 Eldorado 4.9L - P012 & P053 Codes

Check out all the distributor-related connections. If nothing is found, replace the whole thing - the distributor.

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

...she back up and going. Root cause was a faulty Ignition Control Module.

Here's a few notes that may help others that have a similar problems.....

1. Symptoms: The engine ran fine w/o any apparent problem, but while driving (or sitting in park) the engine would simply stop running. All other electricals were fine (i.e. lights/radio turned on, starter engaged and engine would turn/crank, but engine would not fire). The engine shutdown condition typically occurred after 5-10 minutes of engine run time. After 4-6 hours of sitting in ~30-40 F outside tempertures, the engine would start and run for another 5-10 minutes.

2. P012 Current and P053 History errors showed on the Instrument Panel Display.

3. The distributor cap was removed and the "bad" Ignition Control module was disconnected (i.e. removed the 3 connectors) and reconnected to determine if the electrical connections were faulty. The engine exhibited the same shutdown symptom. While the distributer is opened up, it is a good idea to test the resistance of the Pickup Coil (i.e. the Pickup Coil conector is the 2 pin connector located next to the 3 pin connector). I've seen 2 Resistance Specs....500-1500 ohm and 750-1000 ohm.....I suspect it just needs to be NOT shorted or NOT opened.

4. Here's a wierd one....the "bad" Ignition Control Module was taken to AutoZone for testing. The module continually passed the electrical test even after repeating the test about 15 times across 15 minutes. The module heated up...almost too hot to touch by one's hand. When installed in the distributer, the ICM may see higher temps which crosses a temperture threshold which causes its operation to fail.

5. Here's another wierd one....While the engine was in the fault (i.e. engine shutdown/no-run condition), I hooked up a timing light to 1 of the spark plug wires. My thoughts were that if the Ignition Module was bad, that the spark plugs would not be firing and the timing light would not strobe. I was amazed to see that the timing light DID strobe while the engine was in its shutdown condition. I suspect that a faulty Ignition module does not necessarily stop the plugs from firing (depending on which circuit inside the Ignition Module fails), but does stop the injectors from injecting (as indicated in the resources below).

6. 2 Invaluable resources @:

http://www.v8mr2.com/reference/Basic_testing.pdf

http://www.v8mr2.com/reference/Tests_with_codes.pdf

7. Ignition Module is about $21 @ AutoZone and takes only 20-60 minutes to replace. Procedure is something like:
    • Remove Air Filter, Air Filter Box (2 hex screws + 1 Hex nut inside AF Box) and Air Snorkel which sits on top of the Throttle Body.
    • Remove 3 electrical connections from distributor.
    • Remove Distributor Cap (4 hex head screws, Tool = Socket and 1/4" extensions)
    • Remove Rotor (2 Philps Head Screws, Tool = Phillips head screw driver)
    • Remove Ignition Control Module Cover Plate (2 Hex Head Screws, Same socket and extensions used above)
    • Disconnect 3 connectors from ICM (Connectors are very easy to remove)
    • When installing new ICM, be sure to apply the thermal grease to the underside of the new ICM.
    • Reassemble is the reverse of the disassembly.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Thank you for reporting the problem. I have seen many cases where components inside the distributor (among them ICM) were replaced...and replaced and replaced. Eventually the distributor itself was replaced and that solved the problem. Hopefully that's not your case. And thanks for the links!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.