which O2 sensor for 85 DeVille/HT4100
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, which O2 sensor for 85 DeVille/HT4100 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; [cross-posting since I got no response from DeVille forum] My O2 sensor is lazy (but not failing) so I'm going ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

which O2 sensor for 85 DeVille/HT4100

[cross-posting since I got no response from DeVille forum]

My O2 sensor is lazy (but not failing) so I'm going to replace it while I'm swapping out EGR valve. However I'm confused about the right one for my 85 DeVille w/ HT4100. Delco and Rock Auto show three different OEM options -- AFS20 (part #25162693), AFS21 (#25166816) and AFS22 (#25162753) -- but they all look and read the same to me. Meanwhile, alldatadiy gives a GM part #25165119 which Rock Auto says is AFS23 (something else entirely). The FSM does not specify a part type, and it doesn't look like I can get the old sensor out without lifting and disassembly the wheel well cover.

Anybody know the story here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: which O2 sensor for 85 DeVille/HT4100

I talked to one of my mechanics about this. He called his Delco rep and that guy said AFS20 and AFS21 were interchangeable (although he did not know the difference between them), and that AFS22 was discontinued (it's still listed as available in many places including the acdelco.com online catalog). My guy also looked in his shop software, which said that the original was GM part number 25162693, which rockauto says is the AFS20 (the one with the "OEM" tag in the description). So going from all of that, AFS20 appears to be the choice, while AFS21 should also work.

I'm a bit curious what the difference between them might be but I guess it's not really important. When I was trying to figure this out with Google, I saw that some Buick Grand National models used the AFS21 (the GNX), so it may be a bit more sensitive. OTOH it may just have a longer pigtail or something.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: which O2 sensor for 85 DeVille/HT4100

I just replaced mine with Bosch #12014. Works just fine. Of course, AC Delco is probably better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.