4100 Newbie needs help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100 Newbie needs help! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello. I just purchased a 1982 Eldo with 59000 miles and a 4.1 V8. The only problem is that if ...
    Jeff595 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 Cadillac Eldo

4100 Newbie needs help!

Hello. I just purchased a 1982 Eldo with 59000 miles and a 4.1 V8. The only problem is that if I drive the car for 15 or 20 minutes, then shut if off for 5 or 10 minutes, it doesn't want to start back up. I let the car sit for a while, and it fires right up and runs ok. It also seems to be real sluggish (surge in and out) while taking off from a stop. The little old lady that I bought the car from took it to the local cadillac dealer to have it looked at for this, but unfortunately for us most of the tech's there are younger than the car and have no idea what to do with something this old! I ran the codes (something they did not know how to do) and only came up with a code 30 (ISC RPM Out of Range). Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Re: 4100 Newbie needs help!

I can't elieve there isn't an "old timer" that knows how to work on that model.

First off 59000 miles on a eldo that old is sweet! how much did u pay?

2nd it maye a timing issue, possibly need a pickup coil which is part of the distrubtor shaft, or a new distrubtor all together.

Also, check the cat. convertor.

Jeff595 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 Cadillac Eldo

Ya, it is a pretty sweet car, definately rides better than any of the newer stuff I have had. I originally went to look at her all original 75 Monte Carlo with 39000 miles, but was a little more money than I wanted to spend. She said she was also getting rid of her "daily" car, because it had been running funny. She was more than happy to just get $1000 out of it so she didn't have to insure it when she went away for the winter!
    I guess I haven't even looked, but do you happen to know what the timing should be on these? Also, why would the cat cause these problems, and how would I know if it was bad or not? I have been under the car a couple of times, at it is as clean as the top save for a minor amount of fluid on the tranny pan. Guess I am just not sure what I should be looking for with the cat. Thanks for the help.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

not sure what the timing is........you said there is a surge & lack of power, a clogged cat would cause that, get the car nice & hot and have some one give it gas in park, check under the car, if the cat is bad it will be glowing red.

also, clear the codes see if they reoccur, may need to change the sensor that was throwing the codes.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

OK, let's start with the easy stuff first.

1. Check the timing. Base should be set at 10 degrees (see the emissions label under your hood for the timing procedure).

2. More than likely, your EGR valve is sticking open and causing the E30 (the ISC is extending too far, trying to keep the RPMs up at idle). Push up on the underside diaphram on the EGR. If it moves freely, it's OK, if not, it must be replaced. This will also cause hesitation, sag, and reduced power, and starting problems.

Also, try this. Next time your car is warm and it won't start, take a metal wrench or hammer, and tap the EGR valve about 10 times. This will free a stuck diaphram. They tend to stick more when hot. Then try to start the car. If it starts, the EGR is bad.

3. Plugged catalytic converter will cause a loss of engine power. Too much backpressure, but worry about 1) and 2) first.

wikked_magick45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 4.9L

I had a 4.1 in an 86 DeVille, it was slower than shit and I cut the cat off and put a cherry bomb in it's place and it came back to life!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.