4.9 Vs Northstar - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Vs Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Ghost C I have $50 that says my 4.9 DeVille will promptly beat down any N* DeVille ...
    Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 4.9 Vs Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost C View Post
    I have $50 that says my 4.9 DeVille will promptly beat down any N* DeVille on the east coast.

Unless said Northstar has a 100 shot or better.

4.9's have better performance potential, you just have to know how to use them.
    wanna make my shit fast?

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    I've owned two 1994 Sedan Deville', one with a Northstar, and one with a 4.9. Off the line, the 4.9 is great, but overall, the Northstar is a much more fun engine to throttle hard!
    As for working on the engines, both suck because they are transverse! Give me back my old Caddys with the big blocks!

Absolutely working on both engines is a PITA because they are both transverse.
    I own a 4.9 liter and wanted to change the spark plugs myself--after looking around under the hood -----NO WAY! You`ve got to be a contortionist to get at the plugs near the firewall! The older Caddy engines back in the day were so much easier to work on.

The 4.9 liter is plenty powerful.I drove my aunts 2003 DTS with 4.6 liter Northstar and it has plenty of power also.I looked under the hood and it looks more difficult to work on than my 4.9.

twitt11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

I own a 4.9 liter and wanted to change the spark plugs myself--after looking around under the hood -----NO WAY! You`ve got to be a contortionist to get at the plugs near the firewall!
    Agreed. I have changed plugs on a Northstar in a 98 DeVille and they were very easy to get to... I've had a 94 DeVille w/ a 4.9 & I also just changed the plugs on my 88 w/ the 4.5 this last weekend and it was a bitch to get to them!

After having a 4.5, 4.9, 98 Deville N* (275hp), and now an 01 DTS 300hp N*, I've gotta say it's hard to pass up the 300 N*, that thing will fly! But I think the most noticeable performance difference between the N* and the 4.x engines is acceleration from about 60mph on up. Low end they all have pretty good power.

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

The 4-9 will let you cruise pretty smoothly at around 75-80. 60 and up is where the N* kicks ass, on the street the two engines are more even.
    was there ever a comparison of the 2 as far as fuel mileage and which one gets more mpg?

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

It's quite interesting how someone will say XXX engine is soo much easier to work on then YYY engine, yet they've never worked on YYY engine....

Spark plugs on the 4.9 are tough the first time, once you know where they are it's not too bad. Depends on the car though, my '93 Coupe DeVille wasn't too bad, a friends '90 Eldorado, the engine bay was tighter, I wasn't about to try those. I've never changed plugs on a Northstar.

4.9 is a very durable engine that isn't as picky, and for the intended application, and especially the group of people that bought these cars new, was more then enough engine.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 92EldoTC View Post
    The 4-9 will let you cruise pretty smoothly at around 75-80. 60 and up is where the N* kicks ass, on the street the two engines are more even.
    was there ever a comparison of the 2 as far as fuel mileage and which one gets more mpg?
    NS gets a few extra MPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    NS gets a few extra MPGs.
    I've averaged 27.8 mpg with my eldo's 4-9. One time the computer said an average of 35mpg but I dont think that was an accurate reading.

If one can get past the spark plugs as far as getting the old ones out and putting new ones in, you'll only have to do the plugs maybe twice throughout the life of the car unless you put the wrong type of plugs in. After you do the plugs, everything else is pretty acessible.

I did the starter on mine and it was pretty straightforward with the excpetion of that damn pipe coming out of the manifold.

At the time during which the 4.9's were put into these cars and the people for whom the cars were marketed to, these engines were plenty powerful and reliable and before the NS were one of the most powerful stock FWD cars.

Its a good motor and even though it's 17 years old, I still like it and its still a pretty powerful engine, very torquey.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

I tried a shop one time on recommendation, they changed 7 of the plugs and said they could not get to the last one. I did not go back, needless to say. I can do a half-assed job on my own, why would I pay somebody else to do it for me. Anyway yeah, changing the plugs in the 4.1 is a bit of a challenge, even for people with the gear.

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    I tried a shop one time on recommendation, they changed 7 of the plugs and said they could not get to the last one. I did not go back, needless to say. I can do a half-assed job on my own, why would I pay somebody else to do it for me. Anyway yeah, changing the plugs in the 4.1 is a bit of a challenge, even for people with the gear.
    I said it many times but will repeat again... The rear plugs on 4.9 actually are easier to work on because there is more room around them compared to the front ones. The only problem is that you do not see them and have to work rather by touch while laying over the engine.

glad spark plugs dont have to be changed often

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by 92EldoTC View Post
    glad spark plugs dont have to be changed often
    The originals lasted 125.000 miles and probably would last even more. The gap on all of them was 0.075" (the spec is 0.060").

platinums weren't used until 1992.
    so for your 91 plugs last 125,000 is good. I bet they would have went to about 140k.
    my devill has 119k and I bet they havent been changed yet.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I changed my 93's out when I got it at 114k. I got 6 of the 8 out, the 2 I couldnt get were the 2 outside ones on the back. They are easier to change if you remove the strut bar and lay on the engine, I am just nervous about not being able to see them, I snapped a front plug on my other 93 because the socket wasnt fully seated and it slipped off snapping the plug in half. Therefore I hate not being able to see the socket on the plug. But even by touch they are not to bad

I have never driven a n* though. I should just go test drive one for kicks lol

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

i like my lil ol 4.9 really do ...

i worked for cadillac , changing plugs on a n* is far easier , the n* pulls harder then any 4.9 , even ghost c's ...the only reason i dont like northstars is the headbolt and headgasket issues ....in addition to the case half seal issues ....if the ol northstar held together beatter then what ive seen over the years id be its biggest fan ....fact is i cant trust the 4.9 i cant trust the northstar

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.