93 Eldawg Stalls while driving but drives great
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 93 Eldawg Stalls while driving but drives great in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey im new here but a long time caddy fanatic I need a lil help? I have a 93 Eldorado ...
    ONEBAD_ELDAWG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question 93 Eldawg Stalls while driving but drives great

Hey im new here but a long time caddy fanatic I need a lil help?

I have a 93 Eldorado 4.9L and it drives great it just intermitterly shuts down while driving I have done a search about this but my case is kinda of unique. the only case on here exactly like mines is a thread written by 94deville about his 4.9L stalling. I doesn't do it when turning corners and it doesn't do it while at a stop, only while accelerating or coasting i can put it in nuetral and start it back up while rolling most of the time. rarely do I have to stop and wait anymore.

It all started one night while I was stuck in a traffic jam I ran outta of fuel, after two trips to the gas station it wouldnt start I ran the battery down trying to crank it. towed it home and next day I get a new battery and changed fuel filter it started right up. Put it in the driveway and came back 20 minutes later no start battery ran down again. 1 hour later I come out it cranks up I drive around no problems return a few hours later no start. the next morning it starts again. I immediately take it to the shop. The mechanic claims he's busy so I decide to put some fuel injector cleaner in and I head to the parts store to buy an new alternator. On the way there it turns off while driving three times each time I get a jump and it starts back up drives a mile or two and shuts down again. I never make it to the parts store. I end up at friends house I removed the battery for a couple of hours and I put it back in It starts right up I drive 5 blocks it shuts down The whole time my radio still playing lights still on. So i hop out disconnect fuel filter to make sure fuel pump is pumping it is and strongly. Reconnect filter and I make it home about 10 miles away. LAter on that night i go to drive it and i shuts down a few blocks awy from my house I wait 20 minutes it starts up. I take it home in the morning I try to take it back to the shop it turns off every 6 blocks I drop it off and tell them to scan it. The mechanic thinks it's a ground at first. calles me later to tell me its the camshaft positon sensor and distributor module and he wants $300 to fix it I take the car back and put a new distributor module in. I cranks quicker and no more dead battery. drives good for a day. Shuts down again I get a second opinoin before i change hall effect switch this mechanic says nevermind the hall effect switch change the pick up coil. I do so with alot of headache. The car drives even better for two days and then it shuts down in the rain two times before I am able to drive it 20 miles It starts right back up every time. Parked it and then decide to test the fuel sock theory I put my tank on half. Now it shuts down 3mins after I leave gas station. Starts right back up. I notice the fuel guage and digtal range readout bounce all around and not reading correctly. SO i start pulling codes I get the P031 history code sometimes sometimes I don't get it . The rest of the codes are as follows:
    PO98 HIstory
    IO39 History
    IO52 history
    a048 history

Now am lost I have changed plugs and wires, fuel filter, battery, pick up coil, distrubutor module, alternator checked out fine. I recently unplugged the map sensor becuase of the po31 code and it ran so horribly I had to hook back up but as soon as I did that the range readout became accurate. The fuel comes on every time I turn the key forward I can hear it.

My next steps are to invest in a new map sensor,Check the ground behind the starter, clean the erg valves and changed the pcv valves if all else fails drop the dam tank and swap out the fuel pump.

Do you guys have any suggestion or ideas any input would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Re: 93 Eldawg Stalls while driving but drives great

What is the battery voltage across the terminals with the engine off?

ONEBAD_ELDAWG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

THe dash reads 12.4 with engine off what are you getting at

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

Nothing now.

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

It's likely a bad MAP sensor. The MAP sensor likely can be tested for a electrical short w/ an ohmeter after disconnecting it at the connector.

You can get the code information here:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

PO31 = Shorted Map Sensor
    PO98 HIstory = High RPM P/N to D/R Shift Under ISC
    IO39 History = Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data
    IO52 history = Keep Alive Memory Error (I get this after disconnecting the battery....likely due to running your battery dry)
    a048 history = Low Refrigerant Pressure (i.e. low freon in the AC system)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.