I Lost First Gear, Car barely moves with throttle!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, I Lost First Gear, Car barely moves with throttle! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK well i am sittin in a line up for the ferry, everyone starts moving, then i fire up my ...
    caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

I Lost First Gear, Car barely moves with throttle!

OK well i am sittin in a line up for the ferry, everyone starts moving, then i fire up my caddy, put it in drive, step on the gas and the car clunked very harshly BOOM AFTER it smoothly engaged into drive, i'm going WTF!?, stepped on the gas, i feel a grinding, rpms are at 2000, and the car barely moves. Well i got off of tyhe ferry, put her in gear, now its engages a little rougher than usual, i stepped on the gas, rpms go up, car barely moves, then eventually starts going, As this whole time i am feeling a grinding. I hit second, then came out of second then went in second again. Once it hits second gear, its fine. But i mean off the line i can't go, especially up a hill. Luckily i have an extra tranny in my parts car, 1988 Fleetwood, tranny is which rebuilt.

But what could have happened? The car has 102,000 MILES.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Re: I Lost First Gear, Car barely moves with throttle!

I know the designs are quite different, but I had something similar happen on my 78 Eldo once... the 3rd gear planetary carrier 'broke' and basically locked it into 3rd gear.

Drove it all the way where I was going, and parked close to the front door..... THEN later tried to back up and found that reverse was not working....
    Ended up lifting a drive wheel w/ a rolling jack so that the thing could be backed up enuf to turn away in drive.

Definately sounds like something worthy of the 'spare'!

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by caddeville View Post
    OK well i am sittin in a line up for the ferry, everyone starts moving, then i fire up my caddy, put it in drive, step on the gas and the car clunked very harshly BOOM AFTER it smoothly engaged into drive, i'm going WTF!?, stepped on the gas, i feel a grinding, rpms are at 2000, and the car barely moves. Well i got off of tyhe ferry, put her in gear, now its engages a little rougher than usual, i stepped on the gas, rpms go up, car barely moves, then eventually starts going, As this whole time i am feeling a grinding. I hit second, then came out of second then went in second again. Once it hits second gear, its fine. But i mean off the line i can't go, especially up a hill. Luckily i have an extra tranny in my parts car, 1988 Fleetwood, tranny is which rebuilt.

But what could have happened? The car has 102,000 MILES.

somthing very similar happned to my 89 coupe, it had a reuilt in it when I bought it, basically the diffrental exploded & wrecked the trans, the mechanic said it looked like a bomb went off inside the transmisson. wound up getting a junkyard trans & selling the car

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Remember, the trans in these cars is basically a THM125c with a 4th gear added on: it's not that strong. With abuse, it will fail. If you drive it normally, it will last a long time.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

They can be rebuilt to be a lot stronger. There are aftermarket parts such as Transgo shift correction package that beefs up these trannies.

You might try replacing your filter. Sometimes, the filter gets clogged with clutch sediments and there is not enough pressure to give any clutch holding power. But it is very likely your transmission is in need of a rebuilt. I rebuilt mine myself and it was $80 for the rebuild kit, $30 for the Transgo shift correction package and $80 for a rebuilt torque converter. It is not all that difficult.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

Everything is done and working, i took the rebuilt tranny out of my 88 fleetwood and replaced mine in a day and a half. Everyhting is almost fine, i made another thread about the speedometer being off, if you guys can help me out there that would be spectacular! Thanks!

And yes i abused the tranny quite a bit, but i am going to take it easier with the fresh tranny. teh car actually has alot more power. i alos chanegd the fluid and filter and the tranny was not overfilled.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.