would an oil stabilizer help with burning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, would an oil stabilizer help with burning in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; It's been a couple of weeks since the major tune-up. Coolant has not dropped at all and is still green ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

would an oil stabilizer help with burning

It's been a couple of weeks since the major tune-up.

Coolant has not dropped at all and is still green (I thought the tabs would have changed the color), and the radiator fans only try to come on when I'm at a stoplight after extended driving. So that seems good.

She's still burning varying amounts of oil. I drove it to the coast after I got it back to loosen her up and she did not lose any. Yesterday I did some out-of-town errands with about three hours of solid driving, and she is a quart low today. I'm guessing that the rings and/or valves are still my problem. Do you guys think something like Mobil 1 and some kind of stabilizer would help with any of this?

Last night while moving stuff from the Caddy to the Jeep I noticed an acrid smell from the exhaust, and there was a little bit of smoke too. The smoke is probably from burning off oil (no loss in coolant), and the smell may just be the exhaust system falling apart, or may be the oil odor (need to ask mechanic what oil they used).

She also picked up some kind of buzzing sound on the drive yesterday. No idea what it is yet. It sounds like a model airplane engine, or like a fan whacking on a power cord (it was cool yesterday and the radiator fan did not try to come on very often so that's not likely). The frequency is linked to RPM, but it's a slow change not a fast one--I'm guessing one of my auxiliary pumps is starting to fail.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: would an oil stabilizer help with burning

On my 84 Eldo, I use Chevron DELO 15/40 wt. Quiets the engine and I have no oil useage between changes. Dont waste your money on Mobil 1.

The mechanic he said that he used dino stuff, and since he just replaced it and I don't want to have the potential hassle of leakage from the super-fine synthetic, I decided to drop in a quart of the Lucas stabilizer to replace what had been burned off. Kind of interesting in that I was able to tell a difference almost immediately--the engine is a lot quieter and it even seems to be a little more responsive. I won't be able to tell if it helped with burning for another week or two, but I've got another quart of the stuff ready if I lose any more. If that doesn't work then I'll switch to Mobil 1, which has a higher burning temperature.

This is all short-term solution stuff until I get around to replacing the engine of course.

NickySantoro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles

How much oil is it burning between changes? Oil is a sight cheaper than engine replacement on a 22 year old car.

The oil loss is sporadic. I've driven from Maryland to Houston and back without losing any, but I can go to the big city 40 min from here and lose a quart on the the round trip. It's almost definitely a shot ring, since one of my cylinders also has really low compression. Given the problems that the HT4100 has had I'm just going to replace it with a quality reman instead of trying to save this one. In the meantime though, I'm trying to help this one along a little.

I've driven 15-20 miles up the highway and back twice now. The pinging and ticking is gone, the thwack noise that started showing up after the mechanic used GM top-end cleaner to degunk the valves is gone, and the engine is also performing better. This shit really works.

PeteC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Eldorado

Lucas oil treatment slowed my oil burning in a Dodge V6 I have. 20w-50 oil also did the same.

Another data-point, my 91 Jeep Cherokee also goes through oil pretty quick, so I added a quart of Lucas to it as well. It did not seem to give me the same power boost as I got from the Cadillac, and it seems to actually make the engine have to work a little harder. We'll see how it does with the oil loss in a couple of weeks.

So far my Cadillac has not lost any more oil, so that's good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.