6.0L? say what?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 6.0L? say what? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was reading old threads and found a link to EDEN interchange site , which says that I can put ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

6.0L? say what?

I was reading old threads and found a link to EDEN interchange site, which says that I can put a "8-368 (6.0L) 4BC (VIN "6")" or "8-368 (6.0L) EFI (VIN "9")" in my 85 DeVille. I'm guessing the first one is 4-barrel carb and the other is fuel injection.

What I don't know is what engine are they talking about?

I wish I hadn't looked, now I'm thinking about it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 6.0L? say what?

link

In 1980 the 425 was replaced with the L61, which was the same basic engine de-bored to 3.80 in (96.5 mm) for a total displacement of 368 in³ (6.0 L). The reduction in displacement was largely an effort to meet CAFE requirements for fuel economy. Fuel injection (which would be known to GM as throttle-body injection after 1985) was now standard except for Fleetwood Limousines and Commercial Chassis.

Cadillac refers to the fuel injection system as digital fuel injection; this particular induction system was later adopted by other GM division except Oldsmobile V8s.

Power output dropped to 145 hp (108.2 kW) @ 3600 rpm and torque to 270 ft·lbf (366 N·m) @ 2000 rpm. This engine was standard on all Cadillacs except the redesigned Seville, where it was optional.
    Only 20 more hp than the HT4100, but it would probably be a good basis to start with (especially the four-barrel). I don't think it was available in transverse mount though.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Only 20 more hp than the HT4100, but it would probably be a good basis to start with (especially the four-barrel). I don't think it was available in transverse mount though.
    It never was available in transverse mount. I think what the article meant was that you could put the 368 into a 1985 Brougham rear wheel drive car.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Even a RWD HT-4100 won't fit in a sideways FWD application. They are 2 different engines. Bellhousing isn't even close. The FWD engines had less issues. You are looking at a description of engines used in RWD cars. The 1985 Fleetwood Brougham was still RWD and used a RWD version of the HT-4100. The Fleetwood limos used a 368 with TBI. "They" say these had the 8/6/4 stuff also. I have not run into one. 368 was not used in any factory FWD car.
    No way will a 368 bolt into a FWD Deville. BTW, a 425/472/500 will bolt in anywhere a 368 fits.
    Anyway it's not too important because you said that your HT-4100 was good for another 100,000 miles.

The mechanic said I could get another 100k out of it, doesn't mean I'm going to keep it that long. It's got really weak compression in one of the cylinders and a couple of others are dragging, plus the HG won't last forever. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to replace it with another HT4100 (Jasper probly) so that it's almost stock. But then I see these other articles about Allante 4.5's and now this 6.0L and all my careful thinking is instantly mooted by sudden lust for power.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.