high output alternator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, high output alternator in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey im looking for a high output alternator for my 1986 cadillac deville sedan 4.lL 4100 engine and i was ...
    still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

high output alternator

hey im looking for a high output alternator for my 1986 cadillac deville sedan 4.lL 4100 engine and i was told the stinger sell them but between 500-600 dollars and i just got a qoute from http://www.4alterstart.com/ for the following:

200 amp is $279.99 or 250amp $349.99 plus $22.00 S&H lower 48 states.

are these alternators worht spending on or they just blow up or fry. do you think i should just go with stinger instead. my 3 amps are pushing 1600 rms 200 rms and 200 rms. your opinion would be a great help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: high output alternator

I asked my electrical guy about a high-end replacement and he told me I was being stupid, sent me to get a Delco reman, and it did improve many weakness related problems. I still wonder about a high-end replacement though. I also put in a high amperage Optima Red Top (despite him saying not to), and that improved some other power weaknesses a bit too. I would say that if you are really worried about it go ahead, one of your local hot rod shops should be able to tell you which one to get, then you can google around and find reviews and whatnot. I plan on doing that in a couple of months.

cadi197 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Do some research before you decide to do this. Talk to some radio shops. Most professional places will tell you to add a 2nd battery with some sort of relay. Also upgrade your wiring from the altenator to the battery in your engine compartment.

I went to the shop and they told me to add a battery but when u add another battery u have to have them both in same age and charge so that means that I need to buy two new batteries and a relay. Also two batteries on a stock alternator is more of a strain on it also when the car is on wouldn't that make it a 24 v system and damage my 12v devices?

ROGER L is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1992 Seville, Past 1993 Seville & a 2006 STS V-6

Hey I had a car with a SYSTEM you need a capacitor we got all kinds of shops on the northside inner city here in Milwaukee that will have that car BEATING !!!!

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

well i had the stock alternator, and because of my sound system (pretty big, not best buy junk), my battery died even while i was driving my car. I went and spent 250$ on a BOSCH 200 amp high output alternator, and it discustingly made a difference, my volts always above 13.5 even if its idleing at 450 rpms and system cranked. I had to get out the grinder, dremel, and trim a few things to make it fit. But it fit. Totally worth it, and its not a reman. Then go a buy a deep cycle yellow top optima battery for 180$. Money well spent. Before installing new alternator, make sure battery FULLY charged.
    Adding another battery is a waste, stock alternator works even harder to charge them both, unless your installation mickey mouse boogie style.

That's true I'm not going to add a second battery someone else told that to added a better battery to the stock alternator as you said. They told me alternator first then battery. My car did the same I had the big three hooked up I didn't let my car warm up and I had the system turned up and it completly shut off when I was driving it but I was makin a u turn but it was due to the system drain over the car lol. But I learne that to let it warmup/charge up before I crank it up. Thanks for all ur help .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.