Non GM parts=sick Cadillac??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Non GM parts=sick Cadillac?? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 1992 Deville 4.9 most certainly suffers from electrical problems. The engine can, and has, run perfectly. Just not always. ...
    Bluenose1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Seville STS

Non GM parts=sick Cadillac??

My 1992 Deville 4.9 most certainly suffers from electrical problems. The engine can, and has, run perfectly. Just not always. We replaced many things, distributer, MAP sensor, ECM, etc etc.
    The ECM came from our local parts place,not GM. We have since had cause to doubt the parts from this place. Is it possible for an ECM to be bad? Should we consider getting the ECM from the dealer? Will the ECM from the dealer be better? The price difference itself is questionable. I have a feeling my parts dealer was selling "If if sounds to be good to be true, it probably is" merchandise, as the prices were substanially lower.
    Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: Non GM parts=sick Cadillac??

GM replacement part quality far outweighs anything else. That being said, the ECM might not be your problem. Have you checked your codes?

Bluenose1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Seville STS

E30 - ISC RPM Out Of Range is the code it's giving us.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

What are your symptoms? Can you be more descriptive. E30 may be associated with a stuck EGR valve/EGR solenoid (very likely) and/or a worn distributor gear (less likely).

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

I don't have my FSM handy but IIRC code 30 means that the ECM tries to bring the idle to the optimal range and yet it is unable to do so within a specified time limit. IIRC, the idle can either be too high or too low to trigger that code.

Basically it says that the ECM tried to adjust the ISC up or down to bring the rpms to the requested range but it was unable to do so.

Peteski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.