Torque converter lock up solenoid, Where?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Torque converter lock up solenoid, Where? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 87' caddy (FWD) downshifts hard from 3rd to second and bumps barely from second to first. Once very fully ...
    caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

Torque converter lock up solenoid, Where?

My 87' caddy (FWD) downshifts hard from 3rd to second and bumps barely from second to first. Once very fully warmed up, it goes away, but i can still barely feel it. I was told before it is the torque converter lock up solenoid, but i'm nto sure, if it is, where is it located and how hard is it to change? Tranny fluid up to level and smells like the day i put it in. Thank you.

I fixed the car in mid august, this time the grill is gold center and gold license plate frame added. No one will ever know it was fixed no matter how hard they look.

But please help me with the tranny, it's been doing this since end of winter, i've made thread before. Thanks again.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: Torque converter lock up solenoid, Where?

Any codes?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Sounds to me like the trans TV cable is disconnected or mis adjusted. The TC solenoid does not work below 35/40 MPH. The cable attaches to the bottom of the throttle lever and is pulled forward as the throttle is opened which determines up shift interval and smoothness of down shift. With it popped off the lever verify there is tension as you pull it out. Should spring back to rest. If not, its disconnected at the valve body. You need a shop manual to adjust it correctly or any trans shop can verify its ok.

ok, i've adjusted the kick down cable many times at the throttle lever, noting changes. You mean the valve body at the tranny? is this anything i could fix myself?

Did you verify spring tension on the cable. With it disconnected and pulled out does it spring back?

the cable does spring back, but how fast should it be? Should i be able to pull it out easily with my fingers once disconnected from throttle lever? It doesn't pull out easily, only once its connected to throttle lever.

Yes, it should spring back quickly. If not, then its binding on the black sheath over it. Remove the bolt holding the cable to the trans. Lift up on the cable assembly and gently disconnect the cable from the trans lever. Replace the TV cable assembly by reconnecting the cable at the trans then at the throttle body. Adjust according to the service manual. Another item to check is correct amount of vacuum to the modulator. If the vacuum source is plugged with carbon, the modulator will either get no signal or a very weak one. Follow the pipe from the modulator up to where it attaches to the throttle body. Use a small allen wrench and carb cleaner to make sure the vacuum port is clear at the throttle body. Lack of vacuum will cause harse downshifts.

ok thank you, yes i pulled he cable off of the trany. Everything is free. Where is the modulator located?
    Thank you for being so patient and taking the time to explain what to do, i really appreciate it.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Carnut is bit off here. This transmission setup only uses TV cable. There is no modulator valve. TV cable does the job of both the downshift cable and the modulator valve. So, TV cable is the only adjustement to be made.

Peteski

so the tranny shifts rough, i can't really do anythign about it, maybe i should change oil agian and throw in an additive or something

I believe this trans still used a modulator?? 440t trans. My 88 CDV as well as my 88 Allante both had modulators. Located below the forward cyl head close to the radiator. A metal line went from the throttle body to it. Small rubber hoses at each end connected it. Large grey or black canister. On my Allante, cleaning the vacuum port controlling it helped the harsh coasting to a stop, down shift.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

OP didn't say which model (but he said FWD 87). My 85 Eldo with HT4100 doesn't have a modulator valve. I don't recall the model of my transmission. Its FSM states that the TV cable replaces both the downshift cable and the modulator valve. So, I figured that OP's car would be similar.

Peteski

85, 86, 87, 88, and 89 fwd C-body caddie deville and fleetwoods have the same transmissions, either way i have a 1988 caddy fleetwood parts car with rebuilt tranny in it anyway. Has the 4.5 but has oil coolant coolant oil dealeo, either intake or head gaskets. has 104,000 MILES,

85's have a 325 series

oohh well didn't know that, they look the same, are the 85 devilel trannies worse in reliability than the later ones?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.