91 Deville 4.9l No Start Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 91 Deville 4.9l No Start Issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 91 Sedan Deville (4.9l) is not starting and I need some assistance in diagnosing the issue. It has a ...
    91sedan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

91 Deville 4.9l No Start Issue

My 91 Sedan Deville (4.9l) is not starting and I need some assistance in diagnosing the issue.

It has a good battery and alternator. The lights and acessories work. I verified the battery has a good charge. When I insert the key I have lights etc but when I crank the key over I get nothing. The car does not attempt to start.

I believe the starter is good as it is a new unit.
    I tried checking the ignition fuses under the hood by swapping in a spare, but still no dice.

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: 91 Deville 4.9l No Start Issue

Does the starter solenoid click when you try to start? New does not necessarily mean good.

The starter does not click when attempting to start. I checked it to make sure it was good and it is......... It's not getting a signal.

Online I've heard of two other issues: the security chip in the key to the ignition and a starter enable relay under the dash. But cant find any symptoms remotly close to this.

Are their any more active cadillac forums?? This one seems to be dead in the tech section.??

HUF

Try to put a jumper from baterry positive terminal to the starter to eliminate suspect relays or solenoid. I even drove like that for a month and later just replaced the starter. Make a reliable connection. You do not want to have a "thermal event" under the hood. LOL Disconnect baterry negative cable from the battery before, and be VERY careful. A bad starter is still a possibility.

If something were wrong with the security you would get a message on the DIC.

A dead forum... Why? Because nobody fixed your problem in a DAY without even seeing your car? LOL You can try caddyinfo.com. Try rather asking for help than complaining for not getting one within 24 hours. Good luck.

snydly402 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 sedan deville

i had my caddy for two weeks then the chip reader in the ignition went out, it cost me about 400. there really isnt a sign for the chip, i even used a Snap-On Scanner, and that couldnt tell me anything, soi had it towed to a shop and it got fixed

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by snydly402 View Post
    i had my caddy for two weeks then the chip reader in the ignition went out, it cost me about 400. there really isnt a sign for the chip, i even used a Snap-On Scanner, and that couldnt tell me anything, soi had it towed to a shop and it got fixed
    What is exacly "chip reader in the ignition"??

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    Try to put a jumper from baterry positive terminal to the starter to eliminate suspect relays or solenoid. I even drove like that for a month and later just replaced the starter. Make a reliable connection. You do not want to have a "thermal event" under the hood. LOL Disconnect baterry negative cable from the battery before, and be VERY careful. A bad starter is still a possibility.

If something were wrong with the security you would get a message on the DIC.

A dead forum... Why? Because nobody fixed your problem in a DAY without even seeing your car? LOL You can try caddyinfo.com. Try rather asking for help than complaining for not getting one within 24 hours. Good luck.

You are the only person who replied in two days. Compared to every forum for my other vehicles that is dead...lol. I understand that older model cadillacs like mine wont attract a lot of enthusiasts so I was trying to make sure I was in the right place. Some forums can be small but have tons of knowlegeable people. Im not looking for the answer.... just ideas and new info.... just like to learn about all I can. My first few days of a transverse v8 fwd car have been painfull....lol

BTW.....Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by snydly402 View Post
    was their a secirity message in the dash???
    I read that you can fix the problem by wiring in a resistor to fake the signal. The resitors cost less then a dollar.

Ive checked for codes with the off/warmer trick in the display and the scanner and only get codes for the a/c not functioning. F12 code

JK2402 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood

F12 or E12? I recently went through a no-start with the code E12 (no distributor reference signal) and it turned out to be the ignition module AND the coil, replaced both and back in business!

JK2402 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood

I just read your other post about the red wire being broken at the starter solenoid, this is why your engine will not crank. Fix that and you will be good

Figured I would jump back on this project. Work has been really busy so I havent had much time to mess around. Anyway, the car still is not running.

I tested all the fuses and relays and all were good. I also replaced the nuetral safery switch. The starter does work(jumpers fire the starter and the car)

I am not getting a signal past the Nuetral safety switch to fire the car.

Does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram online?

Any ideas as to what the problem could still be?

Only ideas I have left are alarm issue, security issue with the chip in the key, or the starter enable relay which the cadillac parts dealer claims isn't in their system..... I really would like to get this car rolling so any help would be great!!

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

I had a similar issue......good lights, radio, wipers, etc, however, upon turning the key, nothing happened....no solenoid click, no starter noise, no nothing but the sound of 4 lettered words echoing throughout the interior of my car. It became very wierd when I found that the starter would engage and the engine would start normally only when attempting to start the car w/ the driver's side door open!

Per a suggestion from another Cadillac owner somewhere online, it was suggested that I look inside the interior of the driver's door...apparently there is a microswitch that is tied into the security system. It was explained to me that the microswitch - or the wiring to the microswitch - has been known to electrically short out causing a no-start (actually, a no-starter-engagement) condition.

Now, I never did get into the interior of the driver's door, however, I disconnected and removed the security box located on the steering column near the driver's left knee. The removal of the security box fixed the problem and the car has started normally since.

Btw, my car is a 1993 Eldorado w/ the 4.9L engine. I would assume that the security system is similar on your car. Additionally, there were no codes showing on my diagnostic readout thing. I hope this information helps...good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.