Help with timing advance....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Help with timing advance.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have the A and B connectors jumped, and then, from what I hear, the ECC should display "set timing ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Help with timing advance....

I have the A and B connectors jumped, and then, from what I hear, the ECC should display "set timing mode" and the number 10 will be in the FDC, and you hit warmer to bump the timing up by 3deg.

Is that correct? Becuase when I jump the A and B connectors (AC is off, car is not in diagnostic mode, I even removed the air cleaner housing like it said) the service engine soon light comes on, and the engine idle drops.... bascially it goes back to factory specs with the timing at 10 BTDC.... BUT the fuel and climate conrtol displays still show the same and read the same as they would under normal driving......

Do you really need a timing light, and to hook it up to the #1 spark plug? I thought with the 4.9 you just jump the connector, then change the number form 10 to 13 and be done with it.... why isn't it working correctly for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Re: Help with timing advance....

i always thought you went into timeing mode than manually adavnced the baseline timing thru the old school looseing of hold down bolt and twisting while observeing the timing light

i would like to know more about doing the timing change thru the PCM tho , sounds possible

Well, thats the thing, I don't know if I go into it thru the computer, or if you do the old school way.....

....either way, when I jump the A and B connectors, it does NOT say "set timing mode" it just puts the car in timing mode from the factory.... which is 10*.....

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

According to section 6D4-7 of the factory service manual it states you must use the timing light....when you get the "Set Timing Mode" message that is the 4th step in a 8 step process.

Would you like for me to scan the page w/ directions and diagram???

I have the FSM....

Well, when I jump them, the car NEVER displays Set Timing Mode....

...but I brought it to my fathers, adn he has a timing light, so we removed the whole air box and stuff, I jumped the connectors so it was at 10*, and he adjusted the light to about 13, we adjusted the distributor and such... so when we got done it was somewhere between 13-14degree, so I removed the pin, and we put everything back.....

...it dosn't ping, and from what it seems, the engine seems to have more pull, especially in the mid-upper rev band... like if I am doing 40, I can floor it, downshift to 2nd and be hitting 60 in no time.... it definitly seems to pull better at the top end.... where it needs help the most....

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

The reason you need a timing light is your screwing with the computers brain. With a distributor setup, you set base timing, and the computer adds or subtracts from the value it expects to get what it wants. Were taking the base value, and adding to that, so that whatever the computer thinks the timing is (and displays in PCM data display) will be higher. When you bump it up in overrides, thats to check and make sure the computer is advancing/retarding correctly. It reverts back to normal as soon as you exit. What you could do, is set the override to 10, then use the timing light/distributor to bump it up to whatever you want as per the timing marks. So the computer will think it is sitting at 10 deg. when it is really at say 13 deg. The nut isn't THAT hard to get to, but it is a pain to turn. One of those nice box end ratchet wrenches will come in very handy. all you need to do is break it loose, turn the distributor, an once its set, tighten it back up and recheck. As far as "Set Timing Mode", It would be pretty impressive it displays, considering that it is a three digit display, non-alphanumeric. You can check by revving it up while watching the timing mark with the light. if it moves, your not in set timing mode.

Well, I know how to use a timing light, and we did all that yesterday.... I was just wondering why my car never said "set timing mode" and from how I origanally though of it, you could change the timing thru the ECC warmer and cooler buttons.... I must have been thinking of something else though.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    Well, I know how to use a timing light, and we did all that yesterday.... I was just wondering why my car never said "set timing mode" and from how I origanally though of it, you could change the timing thru the ECC warmer and cooler buttons.... I must have been thinking of something else though.
    You probably jumped the wrong pins. The picture in the service manual is confusing and I had to look at it several times to get it right.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

You did the correct thing by changing the distributor reference using a timing light. That is the only way that I know of to change the timing on that package.

There is a function in the Northstar PCM of that era to dial a slight spark retard into the PCM that I recall but it is somewhat involved and is not accomplished with the ALDL connector...and it doesn't work on the 4.9.

I've mentioned the performance gain on the 4.5/4.9 with the spark timing increase several times before so I'm glad someone tried it and can correlate the gains. It does wake the engine up a bit more....but you will need good gas all the time.

no, they are the right pins, becuase they are right behind the L and M

I ALWAYS run premium in it.... hell, I even ran premium in my 1989 Oldsmobile Delta 88 winter/2nd car... it has the 3800 V6 and can run on regular, but for the whole 15cents/gal I would save, it isn't worth it....

I will say that I ran Lucas fuel injector cleaner and while I cleaned the throttle body out last year, I sprayed some TB cleaner into the TB while the engine was running... the car sat for 4 months over the winter, and I was only getting 13mpg when I got it back on the road, now I am getting between 16-19mpg... NOT highway dirivng, in town and on roads with 45 and 55mph etc.... full tune up will be coming soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.