4.9 stalling problem,and allante question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 stalling problem,and allante question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 91 deville will start and stall out right away,I have checked fuel pressure,replaced the control module,checked all fuses and ...
    corwaa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

4.9 stalling problem,and allante question

My 91 deville will start and stall out right away,I have checked fuel pressure,replaced the control module,checked all fuses and relays,and checked for codes.I heard of a hall module may be my problem from a local parts store,any advice out there will be very nice.I also have a 1993 Allante,is it the same procedure as my deville to check for codes(through climate control)Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 4.9 stalling problem,and allante question

just replaced ALL distibutor components today,still not working,this is frustrating and getting expensive.might be the computer????

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Could be bad TPS adjustment. Will the car start if you depress the pedal slightly? If so, I'd check this item. Your TPS may not be set up to let the engine rev up when first started (too far advanced).

wont stay running even if i depress the accelerator,almost seems like it is cutting the fuel supply,or whatever tells the injectors to fire is not working.Do these cars have a cam/or crank position sensor?this all seemed to happen after the serpintine belt flew apart,I have looked to see if anything got unpluged by the belt but i have yet to see any sensors on that side of the motor.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Yes, there is a "hall effect" or cam sensor in the distributor. This could be the cause if your fuel pressure is in spec.

bschelle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 1991 Eldorado, 1999 Deville (retired)

I went htrough all of what you have with my 91 Eldo. I finally replaced the whole distributor and all is well!

Thanks to all for your advice!I will replace the whole distibutor tomorrow,I will let you know if it works.Once again a big THANKS for all who have helped me out.

running perfect! I poured some fuel in the throttle body,the caddy started and ran fine.drove it 10 miles no problems.Thankyou all for your advice!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.