Replaced Water Pump on 89 4.5 Still leaking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Replaced Water Pump on 89 4.5 Still leaking in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My son replaced the water pump on his 89 Caddy and it still leaks . Had it towed to a ...
    americanbudo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Unhappy Replaced Water Pump on 89 4.5 Still leaking

My son replaced the water pump on his 89 Caddy and it still leaks . Had it towed to a shop and they say the antifreeze is leaking out of the timing cover. Is that possible? I've never seen timing gears in an antifreeze bath. Does the cover also contain some ports for directing water jacket flow? I don't want to call the mech a liar. but I don't trust blindly either.
    Dana

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Re: Replaced Water Pump on 89 4.5 Still leaking

Yes, unfortunately it is possible that situation exists, especially on the firewall side.
    The 2 large bolts that were removed on that side also hold down that corner of the timing cover....
    It is not necessary to remove the duplicate bolts on the radiator side but might have...

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I agree. Also that gasket is a real bear to get completely off and the surface clean.

snydly402 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 sedan deville

i went thru this. it does leak behind the timing cover. the water pump bolts to the "front" part of the motor over the timing cover, and then there it a peice that bolts to the backside of the timing cover which is part of the cooling system. put the left frontside up high on jackstands and unbolt the front and rear engine cradle mounts and slowly lower that with the jack until the cranckshaft pulley is clear of the frame rail. youll need to pull the pully off and unbolt the timing cover and water pump. I know for sure Carquest sells the kit, it comes with timing cover gasket, rear gasketbehind the toming cover, waterpump gasket, and a new seal around the crankshaft. this is time kind of time consuming. also a big vise-grip spreader will help to push the motor to get a little more clearance for your hands.

wikked_magick45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 4.9L

I had this happen to my Seville. 3 water pumps, 5 sets of gaskets, and $275 later, I replaced my timing cover. Apparently it was bent - got me how that happened. But it caused a nasty water leak, and if you fix one another leak started. Grr... It's a pain. While I had it apart, I replaced my timing chain and gears. Good suggestion if you go that far - will save you later down the road. Mine was sloppy as hell, and after the new one was installed, nice n tight.

tommyinajar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Where the heck do you buy the actual cover from ? All I can find are water pump gaskets.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.