Remanufactured HT4100 - 10K and now oil in radiator/leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Remanufactured HT4100 - 10K and now oil in radiator/leak in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I decided to start a new thread on this specific problem since this strayed from my original topic of a ...
    aliter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1986 DeVille Touring Sedan 65K

Angry Remanufactured HT4100 - 10K and now oil in radiator/leak

I decided to start a new thread on this specific problem since this strayed from my original topic of a fuel issue.

So the "oil consumption" I thought was happening with my 10,000 mile "new" HT4100 Jasper engine (also new radiator and remanufatured transmission) turns out to be oil in the radiator PLUS a small external leak that I have yet to accurately identify the source of...appears to be toward the back of the engine slightly off center toward the passenger side. I lost a little over a quart of oil in 1,500 miles...some of which obviously entered the cooling system...but I don't know enough about engines to know the various factors to cause that situation.

Questions:
    What are the possible causes of such a leak of oil into the cooling system?

And at 10,000 miles (following all the very best rules of care...oil changes every 2K, pellets in the radiator, etc) what if any reasons might Jasper try to say this wouldn't be covered under their 3 yr/75,000 mile warranty? Its been 8 months and 10,300 miles.

I want to be prepared since I really don't know enough about engines to sound competent if they start trying to jerk me around about covering this. I plan to go directly to the Jasper corporate repair shop just outside Atlanta, GA where I happen to live for part of the year (and in Atlanta now). I have been there once within the first 1,000 miles for them to check my "new" transmission which was not shifting properly - turned out to be due to a vacuum hose not being fitted properly...they fixed it no charge and even spent a little time looking over the "new" engine and radiator installation, as well...and said it all looked good. They were not the ones who did the installation...I've already ranted enough about those bastards. But the Jasper people seemed very nice and genuinely interested to make sure their products operate as they should, so I don't really anticipate a problem.

If this were your car in this situation, and if you knew more about what causes this to happen, how would you handle this? Before I go pointing all the fingers at Jasper it would be helpful to know if and how this could possibly be an *installation* problem vs. a Jasper factory quality control problem.

The installers are now out of business in the last couple of months after royally screwing me on this job starting in December, so it is so much better for ME if someone can help me understand how this could be a JASPER factory problem...the only way this will get fixed without me having to pay since I have no way to get the installers to do anything more...at least I got back all I paid the installers in labor for the job due to all the problems they caused. But had to turn around and spend basically all of it at another shop to correct all the other problems they caused.

Any input is appreciated...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aliter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1986 DeVille Touring Sedan 65K

Re: Remanufactured HT4100 - 10K and now oil in radiator/leak

PS - More helpful info:

No codes and no overheating...no idiot lights or readily observable overheating symptoms.

No coolant loss or if so it would have to be less than an inch from the reservoir.

No visible coolant in oil (no milkshake) or even close.

And I have been driving in 100+ degree heat for extended periods and also stop and go rush hour traffic during the same heat for hours at a time...such that if it were going to overheat it probably would have already.

Fresh green coolant and GM tabs installed in April and I know what the coolant looks like (turns a little brown) when the pellets are used. This was an obvious change in color of coolant in the last couple of days.

Drives great and no idling problems. Thanks for any advice...

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Remanufactured HT4100 - 10K and now oil in radiator/leak

I don't know this first hand so FWIW: Bad oil cooler can leak oil into antifreeze. Your engine might be just fine. Regular aluminum guru must be away for weekend. That is all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.