HT4100 Running BAD when warm.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 Running BAD when warm. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 55 60S, 81 DeVille (Diesel), 83 Coupe (507), 84 Wood (425)

HT4100 Running BAD when warm.

Hey folks, I recently acquired a 1984 Fleetwood Brougham with the HT4100; on the bright side it only has 82,000 miles. It sat for about 5 or more years, but it fired up and I drove it about 20+ miles home. I checked the coolant anticipating a flush but it looked perfect, so I only changed the oil.

It ran decent for about 50 miles, but on its last trip it barely made it home; it got progressively gutless, sounded like it was firing on about 2 cylinders, sputtering and popping, and under the hood it sounded like a gang of typewriters clanging away. So I let it sit for a couple days, and then checked the oil which was fine so I started it up again. This time the motor was completely quiet, a little rough and the “Service Soon” light came on (which went away with some throttle).

I pulled the code through the ECC and got two TPS errors. I checked the voltage at the TPS and it was way high, so I adjusted it (it appears to have been “adjusted” recently). After adjustment, it ran great! But after about 2 miles of driving SAME problems; popping, backfiring, sputtering, and barely limped it home. I would think “no problem, new TPS is in order” but it sounded BAD under the hood; the same “dry” sounding commotion from the motor.

I let it sit for about an hour rechecking the TPS values which seemed high again and took it for another test drive. At first it was good; ran right, no noisy engine, until I drove it about a mile when the noise returned, and soon after it ran rough again.

So my guess is that it’s overheating (thermostat stuck) AND a bad TPS? Or bad O2 that gives bunk readings once warmed up? I think it may be a combination of things due to the mixed symptoms of really noisy engine with the sputtering and popping, YET fixable since they only pop up once warmed up.

I appreciate the help and don’t want to lose another Fleetwood to the 4100! Please let me know what you think.

Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Melrose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado

Re: HT4100 Running BAD when warm.

See my post under HT4100 Backfiring

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

This is a toughie. I'd start with the thermostat (cheap) and 02 sensor (cheap and easy). 02 sensors are only read by the computer when the engine is hot, so this makes sense. You may also want to check your fuel pressure to see if it drops off as the engine warms. You could try a new TPS too if it appears to keep going out of spec. Aside from that, I'm clueless.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

As far as overheating goes, you can display the coolant temperature (and lots of other parameters) while in diagnostic mode. So instead of guessing, just check and see what coolant temperature the car shows. You can also display and check the TPS angle value. Another LED indicator shows if the car is in a closed loop mode. If that corresponds to the rough running then the O2 sensor could be bad (as the O2 sensor only gets used while in closed loop mode - when the engine warms up).

Peteski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.