1985 Eldorado Engine Died! help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1985 Eldorado Engine Died! help! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Help! I have a 1985 Eldorado and the engine just died on me while I was driving. It was running ...
    mayorjesse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

1985 Eldorado Engine Died! help!

Help! I have a 1985 Eldorado and the engine just died on me while I was driving. It was running rough prior to that - thought it needed tune up - been driving for past 2 days fine, drove it faster last night and right as I get to my apartment it just dies (before I parked - pushing this guy is heavy!). The starter seems to sound louder now, like a whine. When I went to try starting it up this morning it sounded like a screeching belt sound when it started up and then it died again and would start up.

engine turns over but doesnt catch. Could timing belt have gone? If it went while car was driving, is that bad? If it is something else, let me know!

Thanks!
    Jesse

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1985 Eldorado Engine Died! help!

I meant to say it would not start back up in that sentence there.

It has the HT 4100 with a recent thermostat, waterpump and intake put on. the oil looks clean as new, same inside too. All warning lights seem to be functional.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Check to see if any of the fan belt driven accessories are siezed.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Good point by Ape Man. It could be that the timing chain has slipped. Do you hear a popping noise when trying to crank the car over? If so, then your timing chain may have slipped.

No popping sound that I can hear. Could be AC compressor? I know when I put on AC it was harder on engine - idled rough - I wasn't using AC but maybe the clutch seized or something like that?

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Maybe, pop the hood and push on the A/C clutch with your finger. It should be loose--i.e. when you push it, it will move ever so slightly. Or you could just remove the A/C belt. That might be a good place to start..Just take off all your accessory drive belts and try to start the car.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by mayorjesse View Post
    Help! I have a 1985 Eldorado and the engine just died on me while I was driving. It was running rough prior to that - thought it needed tune up - been driving for past 2 days fine, drove it faster last night and right as I get to my apartment it just dies (before I parked - pushing this guy is heavy!). The starter seems to sound louder now, like a whine. When I went to try starting it up this morning it sounded like a screeching belt sound when it started up and then it died again and would start up.

engine turns over but doesnt catch. Could timing belt have gone? If it went while car was driving, is that bad? If it is something else, let me know!

Thanks!
    Jesse
    I am betting on an ignition module or coil. See if you get any spark at plug wires.

hey all! success!

So I tested wires/coil - coil was shot and wires were cruddy. Replaced them and got spark back, started for like a minute then died again - thought it was back to the drawing board, but...realized I was on a steep hill and gas was low - tossed some fresh 91 in the tank and she was back up and running - a little better than before too, prob cause of fresh wires. Remember, these fuel tanks seem to pool away from fuel pump on big hills (had same prob with my 83 olds cutlass - would sometimes die on extended steep grades). I got a nice little fire show in the carb too (not really cute, but kind of exciting seeing a large flame shoot out of your carb).

The car is still running rough though, not quite up to speed. Mileage seems to be bad too - averaging around 8-9 mpg in city. Spark plugs looked new - or at least the one I checked before I just put on new wires. Looks like car has new intake, water pump, thermostat, and i think heads (looks new inside under the oil filler cap on valve cover). When I put key in ignition, the gas pedal does this weird popping noise and fluctuates ever so slightly as it does, almost in sync with 6 warning chimes that also go off when I put key in and and turn to ACC before I start engine. Strange ghost there - is this normal or evident of something?

Also, I think my starter is going but could use verification. When I go to start about 50% of time now it gives a high pitched sound like starter isn't catching. When it does catch and start, sound like I have a belt that's not too good. Sometimes it's all right, but still seems like a belt might be bad. Could a bad belt affect the starter?

Thanks for help! Just got this car and it has a couple issues but I love it's style and am working out kinks - any help is well appreciated!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I think you have at least 2 issues. A damaged ring gear which would account for the sound from the starter. Pull the torque converter dust cover and inspect the large ring gear bolted to the t/converter for a damaged section of gears that mesh with the starter. Second: belt squeal noise is usually a loose smog pump belt which will cause a squeal when first started because at that time the alternator is recharging the battery putting more tension on the belts. The ratcheting of the idle control motor causing the gas pedal to move is either a misadjusted idle speed motor or a faulty idle speed motor. You need the factory service manual in order to properly adjust it or replace it.

cool i'll prob be able to check all this sunday or monday. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.