Stumbling on the on ramps 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Stumbling on the on ramps 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1993 Deville 4.9 . Running very good except in the last month on 3 occasions , She stumbled under acceleration ...
    zentrade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1993 Deville 4.9, 1991 Eldorado Touring Coupe

Stumbling on the on ramps 4.9

1993 Deville 4.9 . Running very good except in the last month on 3 occasions , She stumbled under acceleration on highway on ramps all 3 times.

Common denominator was moderate acceleration while turning right. She will bog,lose speed and stumble for about 5 to 7 seconds, but not stall.....Then kick in and go.

Oxygen sensor is disconnected. I went to replace it and cracked a 7/8 oxygen sensor socket which i presumed was low quality even though i knew the sensor would not come out easily and resumed attempt to remove using a deep 7/8 so i cut the wires. ( no need to call me dumb here, i know already...but i thought second attempt would not fail)

Using a Craftsman 7/8 only resulted in a 1/2 drive U joint tearing apart (Craftsman also) so the old sensor still in until i get it replaced by someone else..Just disconnected.

Not sure if all the stumbling started before or after the sensor incident but at least one time i know for sure was after, but thought i would mention it as it is the only engine issue i am aware of. May or may not have anything to do with the stumbling which only occurs in the manner i explained. Any ideas or thoughts? And anyone in Southern NH or Northern MA want to take a crack at removing a very stubborn 02 sensor ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_tech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Re: Stumbling on the on ramps 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by zentrade View Post
    1993 Deville 4.9 . Running very good except in the last month on 3 occasions , She stumbled under acceleration on highway on ramps all 3 times.

Common denominator was moderate acceleration while turning right. She will bog,lose speed and stumble for about 5 to 7 seconds, but not stall.....Then kick in and go.
    What was the fuel level when this happened? It sound like tank baffles that have cracked. Most noticeable under 5 gallons.

Thanks for replying!. Im not sure about fuel level at the time, But at about 6 gals or so i usually fill back up so it had at least that.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

no o2 sensor may be causing you to run very rich, which may cause stumbling; seems like your fuel mileage would take a huge kick though.

Have you tried anything like pb blaster or other penetrating oils to loosen it up? I forgot how i removed my sensor, I know i didnt use a o2 socket. IIRC I used locking pliers and just really tightened them on and turned it.

Thanks for reply! Yes gas mileage is very bad right now so im not wanting to put this off any longer.

I`ll give the PB blaster a try and some locking pliers before giving up and bringing it in. I hate to do that, I know they will complain how long it took to do and hit me with a huge labor bill.

I had a breaker bar on a 2 foot extension with a 2 foot length of pipe over the bar. The little bugger never budged and ate the first socket and a craftsman universal. The exhaust system was flexing like heck too...Was fearful any more force than that would break something in the exhaust....But i`ll give your suggestions a try.
    Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.