HT4100 SYSTEM PROBLEM E047 and B334
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT4100 SYSTEM PROBLEM E047 and B334 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; While driving - suddenly the "Engine Control System" light comes on and "System Problem" is displayed on DIC. Speedo shows ...
    globetrotter8888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HT4100 SYSTEM PROBLEM E047 and B334

While driving - suddenly the "Engine Control System" light comes on and "System Problem" is displayed on DIC. Speedo shows "0", gas shows "E", Trip odometer shows "0", actual milage is displayed, cooling fan goes to "High", and hot air is blowing.

I stop the car and try the ignition several time and suddenly everything goes back to normal. The above has happened a few times and the frequency interval is getting shorter and more frequent.

When things return to normal the following codes are stored
    E047, E052, E055
    B121, B127, B334, B335, B336, B337

Besides unplugging and reseating the connector, What should I look for?
    Has anyone experienced this? Any input would be a great help

Thanks
    GT8888

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Re: HT4100 SYSTEM PROBLEM E047 and B334

Please post year and model of car. I'm assuming an 82-84 Eldorado or Seville because of the B codes.

Almost all of the codes you're getting are data exchange related. Spray some contact cleaner on all the major connectors, ECM/BCM/Programmer/CCP/DIC and reseat them. Clean both ends of the primary ground cables under the hood too. A loose or bad ground can send these computers into a tailspin.

Not that you need it now, but you may want to start browsing eBay for a BCM for your car.

1987 ELDORADO - HT4100

Thanks noahsdad

Are There any connector under the hood that needs to be checked?

Any tips on where to look for a BCM and ECM besides eBay, wreckers etc..??

GT8888

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Quote Originally Posted by noahsdad View Post
    Please post year and model of car. I'm assuming an 82-84 Eldorado or Seville because of the B codes.
    Nope. That vintage cars have no BCM and the diag codes do not have any letters in them. Only 2 digits.

Here is a full list: http://www.ht4100.com/diags/errors.htm

Peteski

1987 ELDORADO - HT4100

The following codes are displayed as History
    E047, E052, E055

Thanks Peteski

GT8888

Hi noansdad (& peteski):

I purchased a BCM from eBay. I looked up diagnostic for "System Problem" under ccdic diagnostic, and the only possible part replacement is CCDIC, the BCM replacement does not come up in any of the diagnostic connected with "System Problem".

Is there a section of the diagnostics that could be elsewhere that could conclude with BCM replacement?

Is there any sensor when not operating properly that could turn on "System Problem"

Thanks
    GT8888

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by globetrotter8888 View Post
    1987 ELDORADO - HT4100

The following codes are displayed as History
    E047, E052, E055

Thanks Peteski

GT8888
    The first thing I would do if there are more than three codes is checking the battery, cables and grounds.

The first things I checked were the battery, cables and grounds, they all checked OK. I had a pine hole leak in the radiator and I replaced the radiator. I removed the connectors for the BCM and CCDIC and sprayed them with contact cleaner and reseated them. I also jiggled the connectors when the "System Problem" is ON and it does not go away - that rules out loose connections. However, the "System Problem" persists. I don't think it is the electrical ground problem, I think some event is turning it ON. I say this because when the car is cold the car is NORMAL as the car is driven the "System Problem" comes ON and after some times it switches OFF and this cycle of ON and OFF continues, I think this problem could be temperature related.

Therefore, I am wondering what are all the possibilities that turns ON "System Problem" and go from there. The diagnostics for "System Problem" eventually boils down to replacement of the CCDIC.

Any Ideas????

GT8888

FrankC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '86 Eldorado, 4.1L, 180k

I suppose this thread is too old to find out what the solution to the problem turned out to be, but, I have a very similar issue and similar trouble codes with my 86 Eldorado.

Quoting from above:
    "While driving - suddenly the "Engine Control System" light comes on and "System Problem" is displayed on DIC. Speedo shows "0", gas shows "E", Trip odometer shows "0", actual milage is displayed, cooling fan goes to "High", and hot air is blowing."

While the problem doesn't come on until the vehilce has been driven for awhile, I really don't think that temperature is an issue. It's just that the problem doesn't happen often. I am getting B334,335,336,337 codes. Nothing current, all History. I've cleared them before, but they come back - usually on the next trip. The common issue between them seems to be loss of the data link circuit. And, since it is a loop, it seems it is lost at two separate points if I am understanding the manual correctly.

I figure if two of us are having the same problem intermittantly, there must be others getting the same codes too. I am thinking the BCM may not be the problem since the trouble codes I am getting are not random, but rather consistently the same. Does that make sense? I am thinking a couple of bad connections are the cause. Anyone care to support or dispute that theory?

Thanks,

Frank

FrankC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '86 Eldorado, 4.1L, 180k

I reset the codes and drove for awhile. The B337 code came back on. This is "Data Link Lost from the BCM to the HVAC Programmer." So I think I will start with that one. The data link loop connects 5 different modules together. I am thinking about running a new wire from the BCM directly to the Programmer module. Maybe even bypass the connectors with the wire just to see if the data link between the two is really the problem. I don't understand why they ran the circuit in a loop. Why not just run a separate wire from the BCM to each module directly? The way it is now, the data has to make its way through 5 connections in one direction and 10 connections in the other. I assume there are a few intermittant connections in the string.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frank

Bigjack21000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville 1988 and 1990

up ! no answer ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.