Coolant and Supplement Change Intervals
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Coolant and Supplement Change Intervals in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I bought my 93 Deville (4.9) in December 2006 and although the coolant looked perfect, I flushed out the system ...
    zentrade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1993 Deville 4.9, 1991 Eldorado Touring Coupe

Coolant and Supplement Change Intervals

I bought my 93 Deville (4.9) in December 2006 and although the coolant looked perfect, I flushed out the system and added the GM pellets (6) Just so i would know when it was done since i didnt have any service records from purchase.

I read all the time from most posters on this subject that the coolant and supplement should be changed annually. I dont really question this but just wondering why it is absolutely necessary.

Would every 2 years or up to 5 years be ok? Anyone with any experience extending the annual interval idea?

How about the use of Anti Corrosion supplements? Anyone with any experience here? The use of it helping anti corrosion and its ability to mix ok with the pellets?

To me the idea of changing coolant is avoid coolant breakdown which also promotes corrosion, So if using an anti corrosion, can you extend intervals?.

Or is the idea of the annual coolant change a requirement due to the use of the anti leak supplement and its needing to be replaced very frequently?... or the fact that the 4.9 is an Aluminum block requiring coolant changes more frequently. If so, I dont have a problem changing the coolant frequently for any of those reasons.

But most cars i have owned have been a 3 to 5 year interval changing coolant only due to its breakdown.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: Coolant and Supplement Change Intervals

Silicated (green) antifreeze is good for two years. Nevertheless, I replace it partially every year and add a tube of Bars Leaks powder (same stuff GM pellets are made from). Because I siphon coolant through the radiator neck it is not messy and takes some 15-20 minutes. You can get about 1.5 gal of old coolant.

Thanks for reply HUF. How do you siphon? Do you have some kind of pump for that?

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by zentrade View Post
    Thanks for reply HUF. How do you siphon? Do you have some kind of pump for that?
    Just get some 5-6' of PVC 1/4" OD ( or a little bit more) tube from a hardware store, fill it with water and squeeze it into the radiator neck between the side tank's wall and the internal oil cooler so that it would reach the bottom. Block the other end with your finger while you do that. Lower the free end to the pan on the ground and open it up. The old coolant will slowly siphoned. No pump is needed. You will not get all the coolant , but I think partial ANNUAL replacement is enough, and it is fast, easy and not messy at all.

General_Motors_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sedan DeVille (White), '93 Sedan DeVille (Burgundy)

zentrade,

I have just about the same question as you as far as changing intervals. I just changed mine yesterday for the first time (Just bought my '93 Deville last month). I did an extra special job, flushing the radiator, engine and expansion tank. I even took the expansion tank out to do a better job of cleaning it. I poured in new anti-freeze and used distilled water to boot, along with 6 new GM tabs. And it sure seems like it will be too soon to do it all over again in 12 months from now.

I'm sure the answer that we will be getting is mainly because of the aluminum engine and the head problems these cars sometimes can have.

You mentioned that some of the cars you have owned were changed at 3 to 5 years. Up till last month, my newest car ever was a '72 (Chevy Impala). I've been owning old Chevys now for about 35 years and never once changed the coolant because of maintenance. Just when I was changing a water pump, radiator, etc and would think that the coolant looked a little old.

But I did learn in general and on here as well that these cars need different maintenance on them.

HUF,

I read where you partially change your coolant and if I'm correct, you are leaving about 2 1/2 quarts in there, but adding 6 new tabs everytime. I'm just wondering if thru the years, you would have a much higher sealant ratio than called for and wondering if that would be OK?

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by General_Motors_Fan View Post
    zentrade,

I have just about the same question as you as far as changing intervals. I just changed mine yesterday for the first time (Just bought my '93 Deville last month). I did an extra special job, flushing the radiator, engine and expansion tank. I even took the expansion tank out to do a better job of cleaning it. I poured in new anti-freeze and used distilled water to boot, along with 6 new GM tabs. And it sure seems like it will be too soon to do it all over again in 12 months from now.

I'm sure the answer that we will be getting is mainly because of the aluminum engine and the head problems these cars sometimes can have.

You mentioned that some of the cars you have owned were changed at 3 to 5 years. Up till last month, my newest car ever was a '72 (Chevy Impala). I've been owning old Chevys now for about 35 years and never once changed the coolant because of maintenance. Just when I was changing a water pump, radiator, etc and would think that the coolant looked a little old.

But I did learn in general and on here as well that these cars need different maintenance on them.

HUF,

I read where you partially change your coolant and if I'm correct, you are leaving about 2 1/2 quarts in there, but adding 6 new tabs everytime. I'm just wondering if thru the years, you would have a much higher sealant ratio than called for and wondering if that would be OK?
    Well, the concentration of the sealant over years will increase if nothing happens (say, water pump going south lol). But, I am sure even 12 pellets are not going to hurt anything (say, plug the heater core). If I get that point I will probably empty the whole cooling system. Honestly I expect another 15-20.000 miles from my Seville and I do not think it's going to take more than a year or so... maybe two.

Thanks guys for the input! Thanks HUF for the pics and explanation and thanks GM fan for asking about the pellet concentration, I didnt think of that myself.

Right now i got a bigger problem on my hand with "Great White" I posted under the FWD Deville etc category as "This is so not good!"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.