Need help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Need help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; just bought a Cadillac Eldorado 1983 with HT4100 engine. A very rare car for my region. Unfortunately my technican do ...
    caddy5500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Post Need help

just bought a Cadillac Eldorado 1983 with HT4100 engine. A very rare car for my region. Unfortunately my technican do not know the exact torch that is reccomended for the bolts on the heads.
    I also read special attention is needed for the intake manifold gaskets leak. What must be done to avoid leak. Special coolant? Some pallets? Seals?Urgent help needed as car must leave the repair shop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Re: Need help

I assume by "torch" your mean torque specs for the head bolts. Does this mean you've had the heads off? If not, it's best to not re-torque the bolts as the threads in the block are easy to strip.

With regard to preventing intake gasket failure, the key is regular cooling system maintenance. Change the coolant at least every 24 months (GM's recommendation - I say every 12 months), and use the GM Sealer Supplement, available at any GM dealer. It comes in a blister pack of 4 or 6 'pills' that you crush and put in the radiator after changing the coolant. As an alternative, you can use Bars Leak Gold Seal Powder. Same stuff, just in powder form.

Yes I mean torcque specs for the bolts. Heads are off. Need value of torcque.
    Regarding the sealant. Is it specific for Cadillac engines as in my country Cadillacs are exotic. There are other brands of coolant sealants like Sonax, Liquid Moly (Germany).
    Thanks

Will check my FSM for torque specs tonight when I get home and post them, but mine is for a transverse '87, not a longitudinal '83. Perhaps someone else can post the precise numbers or at least verify mine.

As far as an alternative sealer, the only one I know of is Bars Leak Gold Seal Powder. You don't want to use any of the aluminum based or liquid sealers on a 4.x engine - they will clog your cooling system.

Here's the head bolt torque specs for an '87 4100. If someone has an '83 FSM, please verify these numbers...

The bolts must be torqued in three stages this sequence:

Stage 1: Torque all in order shown to 50 N m (38 ft lbs).
    Stage 2: Repeat sequence, torque to 90 N m (68 ft lbs).
    Stage 3: Toque bolts 1, 3 and 4 to 120 N m (90 ft lbs).

Do in exactly this sequence to insure gasket seal. DO NOT OVER TORQUE or you will strip the block.

Good luck!

Thanks,
    I found almost the same for another year model except stage 3. 120N/m is on the edge for any alluminium block.
    Will try to check again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.