4.5 Heads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.5 Heads in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Kay all... bad scenario from the get go... I have a 88 DeVille here (don't laugh... feel sorry for me ...
    tangible_lac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

4.5 Heads

Kay all... bad scenario from the get go... I have a 88 DeVille here (don't laugh... feel sorry for me ) that I have been sinking my teeth into for about a year or so - 4.5L - I have just about finished a re-build and went to get some new heads for it ( .... the cast number on the heads is 174 but that doesn't match anyone's listings (which are #614-693 ?!?!?!) - I couldn't figure out what the deal was with this mystery so I thought I would post to see if anyone knew what the proper cast numbers are for these heads - someone on an e-mail list said it was probably an early production number especially since this was the first year for this engine, and that one of the heads with a 600 range cast number would be it - I dunno, sounds like bs to me... but I am not that hip to this engine anyway - anyone have any clues? I am too rural to get anywhere that stocks heads for this engine to actually go physically check... so.... ( Help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

89eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 4.5 Heads

You could go for a set of 4.9L heads. I have heard that all you have to do is do a small grind on one water coolant passage... Here in the tidewater area of VA there is a couple of places that sell them for $75 per head.

I have a couple of 4.5L heads on my '88 Eldorado that I would love to sell you, if you want to pay the shipping cost, and the cost to rebuild them... That alone could be cost prohibitive, but if your local junkyards charge you $150 per head then it might be right up your alley... I dont know what they weigh yet, or what they look like yet, but USPS will ship them for $35 bucks if their combinded weight is under 70 lbs.

PM if you or anyone is interested,
    Brian W.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by tangible_lac
    Kay all... bad scenario from the get go... I have a 88 DeVille here (don't laugh... feel sorry for me ) that I have been sinking my teeth into for about a year or so - 4.5L - I have just about finished a re-build and went to get some new heads for it ( .... the cast number on the heads is 174 but that doesn't match anyone's listings (which are #614-693 ?!?!?!) - I couldn't figure out what the deal was with this mystery so I thought I would post to see if anyone knew what the proper cast numbers are for these heads - someone on an e-mail list said it was probably an early production number especially since this was the first year for this engine, and that one of the heads with a 600 range cast number would be it - I dunno, sounds like bs to me... but I am not that hip to this engine anyway - anyone have any clues? I am too rural to get anywhere that stocks heads for this engine to actually go physically check... so.... ( Help would be appreciated.

Why do you want new heads?? Those heads are pretty robust. Viewing core heads at the re-man facility indicates that the vast majority of the 4.5 heads are perfectly fine....just need to be cleaned up and possibly grind the valves or..just lap them. They rarely need any major work even with lots and lots of miles on them.

4.9 heads are different than the heads you have. Different combustion chamber, ports, etc.... Putting the 4.9 heads on a 4.5 would actually hurt the performance and driveability I would say...

tangible_lac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Why do you want new heads?? Those heads are pretty robust. Viewing core heads at the re-man facility indicates that the vast majority of the 4.5 heads are perfectly fine....just need to be cleaned up and possibly grind the valves or..just lap them. They rarely need any major work even with lots and lots of miles on them.

4.9 heads are different than the heads you have. Different combustion chamber, ports, etc.... Putting the 4.9 heads on a 4.5 would actually hurt the performance and driveability I would say...
    I agree that the heads are pretty robust, but one of the two had significant (not serious) warpage around the neighborhood 0.025 - instead of just having someone lap them ... considering miles and all else, and the abundance of new hardware to boot... I opted to simply replace them - Thanks to both of you for the feedback though )

I solved the mystery of the cast # ... partly ... it would be #614-693 for both 88 and 89s.

LOL - I think after the mind-numbing effort I have put into this car already I am going to start saving up for a 305 conversion LOL....kidding

Thanks again )

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.