Normal??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Normal?? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have owned many N* but never a 4.9L what is the normal Coolant Temp on a 92 ELDO? I ...
    molotovman5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 01 deville

Normal??

i have owned many N* but never a 4.9L what is the normal Coolant Temp on a 92 ELDO? I know N* are 192-224 but dont know about 4.9L thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

Re: Normal??

According to the 1993 Deville (4.9L) FSM, the thermostat opens between 192*F and 199*F (89*C - 93*C). The thermostat fully opens at 219*F (104*C).

The fans are commanded to go to low speed when the coolant reaches 98*C (208*F). High speed is commanded when the coolant reaches 106*C (226*F) or when the A/C refrigerant temp reaches 100*C (212*F).

The "Coolant Temp" light comes on when the temp reaches 125*C (257*F).

So, in summary, you should see temps similar to a Northstar.

molotovman5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 01 deville

ok thanks, I do apologize for posting it on the wrong forum... I swear i put it on the 4.9L board lol

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'll move it for you.

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

My '93 Eldorado w/ 4.9L typically stabilizes around 199-201F, per the digital/electronic readout on the dash. The thermostat has been replaced w/ the OEM temp rated replacement.

STSAllan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hello,

I have been looking around the net for the answer to this exact question. We just purchased a 1992 STS, and I wanted to make sure at what temp we should get concerned. The person who sold it to us was a service advisor at a local repair shop, and he told my wife if it reached 220 degrees pull over and let it cool down.

While I respect his knowledge, it seemed to me that 220 wouldn't warrant having to pull over. It has reached this temp a few times, with no smells, noises, that one might expect from overheating.

I would truly appreciate if someone might be able to tell me what I might want to look for as far as temps under normal conditions in SoCal.

Thanks in advance!

Allan

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

My 91 STS seems to be perfectly happy and stable around 209*-214* according to the driver information center.

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

My Deville hit 226*F (106*C) all the time. It did that for 300,000 miles.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

220 is not a problem for these cars. Most new cars run hotter than that in stop and go traffic. The low speed fans on the 92 Seville won't even kick on until about 225 degrees F.

My 92 STS runs at about 198 on the freeway, or when I'm driving it at a speed that's actually cooling off the radiator. In very bad stop an go traffic it'll hit 225 all the time, then go down to about 215 where the fan kicks off, but it never gets above 235 (I think the high speed kicks on at about 230 or so).

I'd say if you hit 240-245 you should pull over and shut it off. That's too hot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.