Trans Fluid Capacity, '93 Deville, 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Trans Fluid Capacity, '93 Deville, 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm about to change the Trans Fluid and Filter on my '93 Deville 4.9 and would like to verify exactly ...
    General_Motors_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sedan DeVille (White), '93 Sedan DeVille (Burgundy)

Trans Fluid Capacity, '93 Deville, 4.9

I'm about to change the Trans Fluid and Filter on my '93 Deville 4.9 and would like to verify exactly how much Trans Fluid needs to be put back in the trans.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: Trans Fluid Capacity, '93 Deville, 4.9

6 quarts.

Appreciate the info.

I changed the trans fluid and filter since my last reply. As caddydaddy had stated on the capacity, I had also learned that 6 quarts was what it called for.

But mine needed 6 1/2 quarts to get it into the range. It probabaly would take about 6 3/4 quarts to get it to the Full mark.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has a trans that also needed more than what it calls for.

Are you checking it hot, or cold? The fluid does expand when it's hot, and an extra 3/4 quart sounds like a bit much to add.

caddydaddy,

The car was warm before we changed the filter and fluid and I let it run about 5 minutes after. Also shifted thru all the gears a couple of times before checking it. Took it for a 6 mile ride, checked it again and it still showed about 3/4 down, but at that point I only added 1/2 quart to be on the safe side.

We just drove the car on a 40 mile trip on a hot day to boot and before shutting it off I checked it again and it showed just under the Full mark. Therefore proving your point about checking it when it wasn't hot enough, but yet still my car takes 6 1/2 quarts to fill it.

I asked a knowlege-able friend of mine about his opinion on either going by the book or going by the dip stick and his answer was to go by the stick, which is also my opinion.

I never had to be this technical with my old Chevys, but I feel like it is necessary with what I own now.

OK, sounds good. If I remember right, I also had to add a bit when I changed the trans fluid in my '93 and '94. But I don't remember adding 3/4's of a quart. I'm sure there are variances in the dipsticks as well. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.