4.9 Exhaust Note - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Exhaust Note in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Highline Cady First the N* will pass the 4.9 way before 30 mph. But I understand if ...
    illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: 4.9 Exhaust Note

Quote Originally Posted by Highline Cady View Post
    First the N* will pass the 4.9 way before 30 mph. But I understand if you don't like the newer style cadillacs. I agree with you the best looking cadillacs in recent history are the 92-97 Seville, SLS's and STS's, in my opinion. I also like the last generation Devilles, but it is hit or miss for people. As for the certification, ya it's basically an extention of the warranty minus brakes and tire replacements, wear and tear parts. But it goes way further than that, cadillac pays for rentals, I always get a cady when mine is in getting worked on. They also have perks like "trip interuption" when I was driving back from Vegas the rear window regulator let loose and the window fell down into the door, I stoped somewhere in Arizona at a dealer and they had to next day the part. Cadillac payed for the rental car, my hotel, and every meal, they even picked up the tab for the toothpaste I bought. So to answer your last question, what will I do when the certification runs out, I'll buy another certified Cady. I was really impressed with how they treat you for 7 years or 100,000miles.

Ummm, it has been well recorded that stock for stock 4.9 will take the Northstar off the line until about 35 mph when the DOHC engine really wakes up. The Northstar is a fine engine, but let's not act as though it's the end-all of all engines out there (and before this upsets you, niether is the 4.9 liter). By the way, MY 4.9 liter can and will easily roll high 14's...

Another example of a stock 4.9 liter powered car versus a Northstar counterpart: a '92 STS, in the test world will roll about 16.2 in the 1/4 mile, while the next year Northstar STS will roll 15.4...good numbers but not a total blowout by any means, probably about 2 cars or so...in the real world, you can easily shave about .4 tenths off each time.

Also keep in mind that as far as reliability is concerned, the 4.9 is the lowest warranty claim engine Cadillac has ever made. The Northstar in a comparible amount of time has not been nearly as reliable...

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by illumina View Post
    Ummm, it has been well recorded that stock for stock 4.9 will take the Northstar off the line until about 35 mph when the DOHC engine really wakes up. The Northstar is a fine engine, but let's not act as though it's the end-all of all engines out there (and before this upsets you, niether is the 4.9 liter). By the way, MY 4.9 liter can and will easily roll high 14's...

Another example of a stock 4.9 liter powered car versus a Northstar counterpart: a '92 STS, in the test world will roll about 16.2 in the 1/4 mile, while the next year Northstar STS will roll 15.4...good numbers but not a total blowout by any means, probably about 2 cars or so...in the real world, you can easily shave about .4 tenths off each time.

Also keep in mind that as far as reliability is concerned, the 4.9 is the lowest warranty claim engine Cadillac has ever made. The Northstar in a comparible amount of time has not been nearly as reliable...
    Not his DHS for sure. GTech says 15.09 in the 1/4 and I am installing 3.71 gears currently. It is going to the strip and he will post some times soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    Not his DHS for sure. GTech says 15.09 in the 1/4 and I am installing 3.71 gears currently. It is going to the strip and he will post some times soon.

When he gets an actual time slip, then we'll know the real time of his car; a G-Tech, though a nice tool is not a fool-proof device for 100% accurate times. They come close, but not like a track does. My 1991 Seville ran a 14.97 best on a G-Tech, but real track times would have shown lower 15's like the 15.33 I ran some time ago. Hehehehehe....perhaps I meant to say my 4.9 will easily do low 15's, huh?

That said, I was comparing a 1992 STS with a 1993 STS, so in this case, I didn't factor in his DHS, but she sounds like she can scream!

Also, are you familiar with the 4.9 ECM tuning? If so, PM me because I have some questions for you...

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by Highline Cady View Post
    First the N* will pass the 4.9 way before 30 mph. But I understand if you don't like the newer style cadillacs. I agree with you the best looking cadillacs in recent history are the 92-97 Seville, SLS's and STS's, in my opinion. I also like the last generation Devilles, but it is hit or miss for people. As for the certification, ya it's basically an extention of the warranty minus brakes and tire replacements, wear and tear parts. But it goes way further than that, cadillac pays for rentals, I always get a cady when mine is in getting worked on. They also have perks like "trip interuption" when I was driving back from Vegas the rear window regulator let loose and the window fell down into the door, I stoped somewhere in Arizona at a dealer and they had to next day the part. Cadillac payed for the rental car, my hotel, and every meal, they even picked up the tab for the toothpaste I bought. So to answer your last question, what will I do when the certification runs out, I'll buy another certified Cady. I was really impressed with how they treat you for 7 years or 100,000miles.
    That Certification sounds like a good investment. How much of a premium is it on top of the car's actual price and is it only available on used cars bought at a Cadillac dealer? Could I get it on an Eldorado or are they too old now and racking up too many miles after these years?

Oh and have you ever actually raced a 4.9 in your DHS or just going from past experience when you say the Northstar will walk on a 4.9 before 30 mph?

Like I've said before, I've raced a 96-97 STS from a 20MPH roll and I was ahead of him until about 40-45 when he inched passed me and pulled away. But since that was the L37 Northstar, with more top end power, his "sweet spot" is gonna be higher than the LD8 in yours. I've driven a few LD8's ('97 Deville, 94 SLS, 94 Eldorado) and I can distinctly remember more low end torque and a bit more midrange than in the L37, so I could see how your DHS would pull on a 4.9 at a lower speed.

But I still really want to line up against any Northstar Cadillac, no matter if it's LD8 or L37.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by illumina View Post
    When he gets an actual time slip, then we'll know the real time of his car; a G-Tech, though a nice tool is not a fool-proof device for 100% accurate times. They come close, but not like a track does. My 1991 Seville ran a 14.97 best on a G-Tech, but real track times would have shown lower 15's like the 15.33 I ran some time ago. Hehehehehe....perhaps I meant to say my 4.9 will easily do low 15's, huh?

That said, I was comparing a 1992 STS with a 1993 STS, so in this case, I didn't factor in his DHS, but she sounds like she can scream!

Also, are you familiar with the 4.9 ECM tuning? If so, PM me because I have some questions for you...
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...3-71-swap.html
    14.61sec for under $1000
    I know it is a G-Tech, but it was 15.09

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...3-71-swap.html
    14.61sec for under $1000
    I know it is a G-Tech, but it was 15.09
    You sir, are having too much fun! I'm doing a mild upgrade from a 2.97 to a 3.33; I would have done 3.73, but I just don't have the know-how with the ECM to make that work. By the way, mine will have an LSD.

No, Engineered Performance. I decided to go with them becuase their unit sounds more solid. I just have to wait forever to get my part!

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

ChazGlen,

I replaced my muffler about a year ago with a Hooker model made for Cameros that has the duel outlet setup as our cars do. Not too many choices in this style are available. It was part of a performance upgrade that illumina was very helpful with.

Because my two tailpipes that end in the cool square sectioned tips were pretty rusted, the shop just cut them off and welded them to new pipes. And since everything's now welded, I don't have the tip sag (or alignment) problem anymore.

As for the Hooker, I think it's a good compromise -- quieter than the Magnaflows but still a nice rumble.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Man all this talk about 4.9s and 4.5s I can't wait to get my 4.5 back on the road, I love my N* for leaving cars in the dust starting from 70MPH but I don't think much can beat the sweet sound of a 4.5 or 4.9 from launch, they sound amazing, it was the first thing I noticed when I got my old Eldo

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Hell yeah, and even the Northstars, especially the early ones, sound amazing too!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

4.9fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Talking Re: 4.9 Exhaust Note

Here's a little clip of my 4.9 exhaust note(s). Flowmaster 2 1/2 in, dual 2 1/2 out with a compact cat.

http://rapidshare.com/files/43353234/IndyMotor.AVI or

http://fieroaddict.multiply.com/vide...w_page_as=anon
    I don't know if the above streaming will work.

It's a fairly common engine swap, and a blast to drive. The 4.9 and 4T60E weigh about 50 Lbs more than the 2.8 V6 so it isn't a detriment to the handling either. 275 ft/lb of torque makes 2800 lbs get going very nicely.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.