4.9 Will Not Idle Below 2500rpm! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Will Not Idle Below 2500rpm! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by cadchris Where have you seen those struts located on the forum. chris I just saw several posts ...
    Hairball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Seville (base model)

Re: 4.9 Will Not Idle Below 2500rpm!

Quote Originally Posted by cadchris View Post
    Where have you seen those struts located on the forum.

chris
    I just saw several posts where guys who work at Cadillac dealers are selling them. I haven't checked on any of them due to their prices.

Monroe requires too much work and some kit, but the Gabriels are a direct bolt-in according to what Gabriel told me when I called.

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

Hi HAIRBALL,

Do you have the posts where they mentioned the elect. struts? I'm interested what dealer is sitting on those struts?

I was looking up your application on Rockauto and comparing it to the Monroe site. Very Bizzarre listings on both Rocks site and Monroes site.

This shyt's going to get complicated and if you bought the Gabriels, fine but I'm doing a write up on this anyway because the listings are so screwed up and confusing between Rock and Monroe........................ This should be moved to another thread so other's can see the suspension updates for their Sevilles and not get spooked by the bad info on the parts sites or at their local parts stores who may have recieved the wrong info from Monroe or some other company that lists the parts in some universal database that the parts stores use. It's all goofed up if someone is looking for Monroe SensaTrac Struts an anyone considering it should call Monroe for the part#'s as I'm only trying to rationalize the application using 2 sites.

1st, on the Rock site: under the shock absorber tab, I see the Delco Elect rear struts for $1128 pc. WOW but that maybe for the pair since Air Struts are always packaged by the pairs, and Monroe #40046 $124. That also should be for 2 struts on the Monroe's and should be the better SensTrac line. Rock's site must have the everything mixed up.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7556

Now if you go to Rocks site under Struts, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7584
    I only see Gabriels for the front but no rear application which is very strange, and also see the wrong applications for the Monroe's. Someone had to mess up that listing for 93 Sevilles and hopefully its not messed up in ALL vendor databases from bad info from Monroe. I see where its states "AK49 Kit" requiered to install the Monroe #71796. That isn't even your strut or shock so the listing is wrong and you should not need that Adapter. I also see the Delco front struts on that page# 580101 for $960 but the photo doesn't show its the electronic. I still can't believe Delco made these things but now that I think about it, I was told they did and only for a short time.

Now if you go by the Monroe site, http://www.monroe.com/catalog/ecatalog.asp there's some weird things they did there but if you use the part#'s from there and plug them into the Rock Site, you'll get the correct parts and prices.

When you get to the Monroe site, and you put in your modle year, you'll see 2 options:
    "All - Exc.Electronic Adjustable Suspension"

On that page I only see rear adj. air struts which really should be a part# for the pair but you'd have to ask Monroe or some other vendor. The rear's should be Part# 40046 and you don't need the AK29 Adpt. Kit since you should already have air struts in the rear.

Now if you hit your back page on that site above and click on the other option:
    Electronic Adjustable Suspension -- For Converting Front Electronic Adjustable Struts to Conventional Struts

You'll see the full conversion Kit # 90008 which they give you struts, mounts, bearing's EVERYTHING and they just packaged it in a complete kit which is a smart because you really should consider replacing the mount/bearing plate anyway since it's all going to be appart. Rock has it priced for $240 but the struts should be available from Monroe by single part# and I would call them for the part# if you would go that route. Very strange they would MAKE you buy the whole kit eventhough its a smart thing to do when replacing struts on a car with high mileage.

Now for the rear on that page they list coil-over's for the rear which I would NEVER use. They are the #90009.

If anyone goes this route, they should call Monroe and ask for the single strut #'s for the front if they don't want to buy the mounts/bearings, ect.ect. in the packaged kit. I'm wondering if Monroe is ONLY packageing this complete assembly because maybe old plate/bearings would fail and damage their struts or there were too many warranty returns when the fault was a failed strutmount/bearing. It very well could be an updated design for a factory flaw.

Thats my take on it!

Hope it helps someone!

Hairball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Seville (base model)

I don't remember which posts I seen it in. It was when I did a search in the forum for Struts and was reading posts about which ones other members used. Everyone said their local dealers sells the electronic ones and the guy from Rippy Cadillac mentioned he can get us all a set for $2500 instead of $4000. Otherwise, I don't recall which posts mentioned it.

I know what you mean about the Monroes. That's partly why I decided to run with the Gabriel Ultras. They're a decent price and I'll lose the feeling that I'm out in a charter boat. Sure, I'll lose the electronically adjusted control in the corners, but I don't plan on doing any high speeds on country back roads (I save those for my bike). So the Gabriels seem like a better choice due to their low cost. Those other brands everyone mentions, StrutMasters and Arnotts, are two expensive. SunCore is a decent price, but still $300-600 per pair! I'm just not ready to spend that much, so I'm still looking at options.

There's a little info here but not much: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lacements.html

That's quite the write up you did. Apparently I'm not the only one who does his research! Maybe you can ask the Mods to move this discussion to a thread that people will read. They might not find this information since the thread title mentions high idle and nothing about struts.

Good investigation work!

Shawn

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

According to a recent conversation with Allante Source, he said he hasn't had luck with any aftermarket struts lasting more than 20-30k which is why he's still trying to locate the discontinued Delco React-Tecs that were the replacements for the discontinued O.E. Electronic Struts. I'll ask him about Gabriels for the hell of it. I e-mailed A/C Delco but never heard back about the Reac Tecs and old part numbers as I would try to locate them. He said these struts lasted and gave very sporty handleing for the Allante's. I'm trying to find them and return my SensaTracs that I haven't installed. But if not, I bought the Monroes at my local parts wholsaler same price as Rock, no sales Tax, no shipping, and sent in the Monroe Shocktober Rebate, buy 3 get one free.

I wouldn't think the SensaTracs would give a floating feeling as I use them on my Brougham and they were firmer than O.E.; the internal valveing bleeds off to smooth out the bumps/potholes ect. which I want. Maybe the Gabriels have better multi-valving but my problem is I run Vogue Tires which have a stiffer side wall. I also have complete Moog front end parts that need to be put on my Brougham and Eldo. to try to restore the ride. Always consider Mooge if you need to replace any suspension components but they're expensive for the higher quality.

Either Allante Source or Northstarperformance told me that Suncore, Arnott & Strutmasters were using Monroe's either their regular line or SensaTracs.... of course, they could even be the Gabriels. It even looks like A/C Delco's current struts are SensaTracs from the description or maybe the Gabriel Ultras. Too bad Bilstein or Koni don't make replacements for our cars.

I see from the Gabriel site that my 91 Eldo and your 93 Seville use the exact same part#'s. You should really consider replacing all mounts too especially the fronts since its dissassembled. Moog is expensive so I'm sure the Gabriel mounts are less expensive hopefully the quality is there.

You will get the Computer Command Ride Warning Message when you disconect the struts. I've heard about so many ways to bypass it like the resistor kits, relays, ect. Here's how I did mine which was supposed to be temporary but I've been running it that way for 4 yrs...............Inorder to pull the susupension codes from the module, you need to jump 2 wires on the module to get the light on the module to flash to read suspension codes. When this is done, it turns off the CCR Message on the dash display. I've been running like this for a few years so I don't keep seeing the message! I don't know why its never mentioned to just do that to turn off the message and leave the module in diagnostics mode and let it flash to its hearts content in the trunk!

Have you ever come accross anyone else who mention this method as a permanant fix on this forum as I've really never searched this forum for suspension problems?

But as I stated in a previous post, I came accross a thread on a different Cad Forum about dissableing the CCR/SDD suspension indicator message: I thought everyone had to use the Relay method from what I've read to deactivate the message and it appears it can be deactivated according to that TSB posted in the thread I posted above but you need to copy/paste that link and make it into a complete URL and close the space between the "." and "com" since this site will not allow the the posting of a link from the other Cad Forum with a similar address.

Here it is the "Suspension Message Deactivation TSB" again which looks pretty unique and I wonder if it can be undone if the electronic struts would ever get re-made by NorthstarPerformance:
    http://www.cadillacforum. com/forum/showthread.php?t=3160

If you have any links to the other suspension forums, poste them here and I'll see if these postes can be moved or just copy and paste them somehow manually.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.