4.9 Will Not Idle Below 2500rpm! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Will Not Idle Below 2500rpm! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Hairball ...I'm about to get a HUGE check from my parents' estate. When I get it, I'll ...
    the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: 4.9 Will Not Idle Below 2500rpm!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    ...I'm about to get a HUGE check from my parents' estate. When I get it, I'll order one of those!
    Forget the FSM, get another car!

Hairball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Seville (base model)

Hey, I love this car! There's really not much wrong with it. An off and on idle speed issue that lasts a couple minutes is the least of my worries. This car is gorgeous, and even the local dealer's service adviser was impressed. He said it was obvious someone took super good care of this car. And hey, I only paid $2000 for the nicest car I've ever owned. It only has a few very minor issues that the FSM would help me with, and I really want a wiring diagram. The check isn't THAT big, just big enough to get new tires and wheels, all new stereo system, and struts.

I know you were probably joking. But hey, this isn't such a bad car...

Hey, I love this car!
    That'll change...

There's really not much wrong with it.
    Give it time...

Yes, they are beautiful cars, but some come with a laundry list of "minor things wrong" that can sometimes make you question the day you were born and why it came to be. One thing will be constant, we'll be here to help you the best we can....

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

You have got newer body type Seville with great and reliable 4.9 liter engine instead of Northstar with known headgasket problem,

And yes I was joking, but sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet for some reason....

seok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9, 1979 Eldo Biarritz 5.7 Carbed!!

The check isn't THAT big, just big enough to get new tires and wheels, all new stereo system, and struts.

Just curious.. Did you end up getting that FSM? Im sure those ladies will get bored real quick sitting in a clean Caddy with nice rims and a bangin system while its sitting out front broke down waiting for another check to get it repaired again, but then you will still have to get that FSM

If you plan on enjoying your new Caddy for years to come, and like to save money repairing/mantaining your own vehicle, not to mention the great feeling of knowing exactly what is being done to your car and done right. then before Wheels, Stereo, amps, Subs, Tint, grill, Tvs, Navigation, etc go purchase a $25 FSM and keep them Ladies smiling while cruisin in your WELL maintained Cadillac! its sad to see how many people out there spend all there paper on making a car LOOK like the Shyt, but not perform worth a shyt, and when it takes a shyt, they are broke as shyt!
    dont mind me.. im just runnin my mouth LOL

thats a clean Seville... take care of her.

I do plan to purchase an FSM as soon as I can. But as for other stuff, I already got the wheels and tires and installed the alarm but have put the stereo stuff on hold for now. You're right, and FSM is important! Thanks.

Here is my baby with the new tires & wheels (shots taken at Sears after I went to have a new battery installed)...

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

Glad someone awoke this old thread as I saved the old links "awadecki" posted a month earlier in 2007 as I need to explore this too. He has written the best info and thorough instructions on TPS and ISC adjustments and is a valuable member here on the forum:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1071803

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lem-still.html

Beatiful car "Hariball", Funny shyt above "Seok" as your in knee deep shyt with that door problem you have on your last post in the link below.........still thinking about it today:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...rado-no-2.html

Hopefully some others can help and have some ideas or maybe you should post up a new thread on how to get a 79 Eldo Pass. Door open when ALL releases won't work on an unlocked door.

chris

seok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9, 1979 Eldo Biarritz 5.7 Carbed!!

LOL! that I am Chris! hahaha. You put up some good info for me on my thread too! good ideas, most of them I hope to live without!
    ... why couldnt McGyver be my next door neighbor.

the weather is crap right now (NW) so it leaves me with a day or two every couple weeks to get down on the 79 thats NOT in a garage

And YES, that Seville up top is nice looking! great find, and that 4.9 will treat you well. Its getting so hard to find a nice taken care of "popular American" ride that hasnt been mechanically treated like ass and covered up with $5000 of cosmetics.

great choice on the wheel pckg BTW! are those 18? looks classy

Quote Originally Posted by seok View Post
    LOL! that I am Chris! hahaha. You put up some good info for me on my thread too! good ideas, most of them I hope to live without!
    ... why couldnt McGyver be my next door neighbor.

the weather is crap right now (NW) so it leaves me with a day or two every couple weeks to get down on the 79 thats NOT in a garage

And YES, that Seville up top is nice looking! great find, and that 4.9 will treat you well. Its getting so hard to find a nice taken care of "popular American" ride that hasnt been mechanically treated like ass and covered up with $5000 of cosmetics.

great choice on the wheel pckg BTW! are those 18? looks classy
    Thanks! Yeah, it took a few weeks of deciding on the wheels. As for the tires, I chose the Cooper CS4 tires after reading what other Seville owners in this forum liked and found a great majority loved the CS4's. So far I love them too. No, those are 17x7.5 wheels. I thought about going with 18's but didn't want too low of a profile tire since we have so many pot holes around my town. The tires are 225/55-17's. Went up one size and this was the closest to an exact match in a plus 1 size. I just keep thinking there sure seems to be a lot of extra room in the wheel wells on this car. Heck, I'll bet 20's would have worked out nice! It seems to sit up too high. And yes, the car is gorgeous. It's been very well taken care of. Even the local Cadillac dealer guys were impressed. The interior is as clean as the outside. Not a rip or tear or scratch inside, it's never been wrecked, no bondo, no dings, nothing.

Hairball, the gap should be the same if you went "Plus 1", is it still? What was size the orig. wheel/tire combo?

Off the subject; here's an idea to close the gap:

I checked both Eibach and Tokico for lowering springs and NOTHING! Maybe another mfg. makes a 1" lowering perf. spring. Of course, you would need matched lowering struts for the spring. Your car has the electronic struts right, and do they still work?

But the professional builders use air bag suspensions:

I'd love to do an airbag suspension on my cars like what Chip Foose and other high end builders use on their "Resto Rods" that they build on the show "Overhaulin" or when they build show cars for the SEMA show. I get so jelouse on how any new car handles and is so smooth compared to my Cads, and these air bag kits seem to be the best upgrade and way to lower, firm up, and give an ultra smooth ride. These are not the ghetto type airbag hydralic lowrider stuff. They actually lower the car a few inches and the better kits like Air Ride Technologies make the car handle extrememly well and extremely smooth.

Here's the universal A.R.T. Shockwave page:
    http://www.ridetech.com/store/streetrod/

I saw an article in HotRod Mag? 5+ yrs ago, when they converted a late model Camaro and they couldn't believe how it handled on the track and showed Still Photos of body roll before and after the Shockwave Airbag Kit. They remarked that the car drove unbelieabley smooth (like a Caddy) too......

Here's their media page: http://www.ridetech.com/info/categor...-media/page/2/

This company makes a kit but I think its very universal and not a direct bolt on:
    http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/fbs-cad-31-kit3.htm

The way that company advertises their kits; it seems to be a 1 size fits all, but I don't know. The AirRideTech. is supposed to be the best. Maybe some day I'm going to convert both my cads. when I get the long list of bugs worked out. Unfortunatly, the bugs are happening faster than I can work them out!

chris

There was a gap there before these tires, but now the car is a half inch higher from an inch taller tire. It originally came with 225/60-16's and now has 225/55-17's but I didn't think it would raise the car enough to notice. Yep, the electronic suspension still works but all the struts are shot! I need to replace them as soon as I can decide how much I want to spend. I certainly can't afford $4000 from the dealer! I was thinking about Gabriel Ultras but I would lose my electronic suspension. But I'd be happy to not feel like I'm in a boat! Can't decide. No matter how much I pay, if I get aftermarket I'll lose the electronic part. I'm tempted to check into used from a wrecking yard. If I can find a car that has had the struts replaced with OEM, I'd buy them.

(Looks like this thread got a bit off topic. Sorry, O.P.)

It looks very close Google Tire Size Caluculator or go here and see that the diameter difference is only about 1/8" taller on this calc:
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireMath.jsp

Try some other calcs on the web.

You won't find electronic strut any longer. Long been discontinued along with the 2nd generation manual Delco "Reac-tecs" that I heard from Allante Source were great and gave a nice firm ride and lasted. The new Delco Struts appear to maybe be Monroe SensaTracks but I've heard they don't last very long. I just bought a set for my 91 Eldo as I went on the Junkyard excursion looking for them.

I was also told by either Allante Source or NorthStarPerformance , that even if you find new or used OEM Electronic Struts; they'll probably be locked up from sitting and he and one dealer he knew of a few years back went through a couple of new sets and had to cycle the electronic valveing all night to free them up. He stopped me looking for these things either new or used and everyone I ohm tested in the yard never ohmed out correctly.

Also, NorthdstarPerformance often posts on the forum, I can't remember his screen name but he's the mfg of a better block inserts for the Northstar Motors:
    He has put together a deal with Delphi to re-make the discontinued Magnetic Struts for later model Cads. He told me, that he is working on sourcing the old CCR Cad. Struts some day in the future.
    http://www.northstarperformance.com/suspension.php

Also, I came accross this thread on the Cad Forum about dissableing the CCR/SDD suspension indicator message: I thought everyone had to use the Relay method from what I've read to deactivate the message and it appears it can be deactivated according to this TSB. I have mine deactivated by jumping the two wires on the Control Module. This is performed to get into the Suspensions Diagnostic Mode to read the flashing lights on the module but also deactivates the message! I never heard anyone say anything about using that message so at least I don't see the message until I get some new struts.

http://www.cadillacforum. com/forum/showthread.php?t=3160

I had to separate the link as it wouldn't paste because its a different forum.

Hope this helps, and your right! This thread did get off the topic!

chris

Electronic not available? That's odd, since there are people in the forum still selling them. But I'm not stupid enough (or rich enough) to pay $1000 each for any strut, even if it was gold plated with diamonds on it!

Looks like I'll buy the Gabriel Ultras tomorrow. $88/pair for fronts and $86/pair for rears at Auto Zone, or even cheaper online. I'll lose that famous Cadillac ride and lose my working electronically controlled suspension, but oh well. I don't plan on going on any road race courses anytime soon.

In my 40+ years around cars I've never heard of struts or shocks that freeze up from sitting, but then the electronic ones are probably a bit different than normal struts/shocks.

I also thought I might look for some in a wrecking yard, but then it will be too hard to tell if they're worn out too so I'd be taking a huge chance buying used. Maybe I can find someone parting out a 93 Seville who replaced their struts recently.

Where have you seen those struts located on the forum. I've never browsed the "for sale" ads? I may just ask them to test cycle them to see if they'll pass and guarentee them.

If you still want the best ride overall, then the Monroe SensaTracs that have a speed sesnsative valveing is probably the better strut out there but I've been told they all wear out as compared to the old Delco React-tecs. Maybe those are on this forum somewhere for sale and I was told have much better sporty ride that the Allante guys like and last a long time.

Also try Rockauto.com

chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.