Engine miss.......AGAIN - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Engine miss.......AGAIN in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well, it seems that when I said there were 'no codes', I meant the S.E.S. light wasn't on. apparently there ...
    MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Re: Engine miss.......AGAIN

Well, it seems that when I said there were 'no codes', I meant the S.E.S. light wasn't on. apparently there are codes that come up that don't cause the light to stay on. Just on a whim I checked the history and came up with E34, and E71. MAP Sensor, anyone? And the symptoms of a bad MAP sensor describe how my car is running to a T. Now, is there anybody who can tell me where it is?

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by MachX View Post
    Well, it seems that when I said there were 'no codes', I meant the S.E.S. light wasn't on. apparently there are codes that come up that don't cause the light to stay on. Just on a whim I checked the history and came up with E34, and E71. MAP Sensor, anyone? And the symptoms of a bad MAP sensor describe how my car is running to a T. Now, is there anybody who can tell me where it is?
    IIrc the map sensor is the little black box at the top of the engine compartment, On my 93 it is mounted toward the passenger side just under the crossbar that connects the strut towers.

Id guess its about 3.5 - 4 in long and about 1.5 inches wide.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Blah, sorry I took so long. The ignition coil is that little cylinder-shaped doodad that's right on/in the distributor cap. The MAP sensor is like behindbars said... If you're looking under the hood, towards the back, I believe the vacuum hose that goes from the throttle body to it is easily accessible, but given the kPa readings you indicated before, I wouldn't bet this as being the problem. If you take the vacuum hose off the MAP sensor, you should notice some obvious problems with the engine running.

Beautiful. 80 bucks for a new MAP sensor that didn't do a damned thing. I don' t know what else to do with this car. How can it run like garbage without tossing out codes or smoking or smelling. It sounds like somebody put a fat cam in it. Just chugs.

Well here's a new twist, was on a trip, and had to stop at a highway gas station. They had only 87 octane available, so I filled up. The car is now running BETTER on the lower grade fuel. What gives? I'm starting to lean towards the EGR valve not working properly, but there is NO way I'm dumping cash on another expensive part unless there is a way to tell for sure that it's the problem. It still chugs at idle, and still lightly shudders under hard acceleration, but under light acceleration the shudder is almost imperceptible. I managed to pull a couple of plugs, and they are clean. I didn't pull them all because it was hot outside and so was the car. Any more ideas, folks?

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

EGR valve does not care what octane fuel you use.

TonyPat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Deville

Hi MachX,

Did your problem solve, I got exactly same issue, and try a lot but problem still exist.
    Thanks

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Is a 5 year old thread. You might want to start a new thread in the FWD forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.