Not Sure What Engine I have
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Not Sure What Engine I have in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just a 1984 Coupe Deville that sat for 6 years, the previous owner passed away but the car was ...
    MaineWater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe Deville,BROUGHAMS: 1989,1991 d'elegance, 1992

Not Sure What Engine I have

I just a 1984 Coupe Deville that sat for 6 years, the previous owner passed away but the car was sold by the son in law. Anyways he said the engine had blown a head gasket(typical) He said it was replaced in 99? With a Northstar? Well anyways I got a new battery and it started up fine. I gave it an oil change, flushed the radioator. It did seem to shake a little while I was doing the flushes, but it seems to be getting better. I was wondering how can I tell if it was replaced or what engine i have. Or to tell if i have a blown gasket

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: Not Sure What Engine I have

If you have an '84 Deville, then the engine was replaced with another 4.1 liter. No way someone swapped a Northstar in there...

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

Here's a picture of the Northstar.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Is this a FWD c-Body car, or a RWD full size coupe? The smaller FWD cars were introduced during the '84 model year, but they were titled as '85s. If it's a full size model, I think the '84 only came with a longitudinal 4100 or a 5.7 diesel. If it has chrome or finned aluminum valve covers, it's probably an OEM (junkyard) replacement. If the covers are plain black, it's an upgraded GM replacement.

Don't to flush the cooling system with any chemical product - and USE THE GM SEALER pellets. If you have a blown headgasket, the oil on the dipstick will look like a lumpy milkshake.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The oil residue under the oil filler cap will show signs of coolant leakage sooner than the dip stick. Monitor the oil fill cap every day. If the color is light chocolate brown then theres a leak. The intake gaskets were more prone to failure than head gaskets. They would corrode away where the coolant crosses over from one head to the other. As prior poster says, install the sealant pellets mentioned on the white decall in front of the radiator, assuming no leak is found. Coolant MUST be change every 24 months without fail and sealant replenished! A Northstar has no distributor whereas a 4100 does!

MaineWater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe Deville,BROUGHAMS: 1989,1991 d'elegance, 1992

it's a RWD.the covers are black,but not flat. they have "raised lines". The oil looks fine also.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Sounds like HT4100 with aluminum covers. Usually there is a HT4100 sticker on the air filter cover.

Peteski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.