Turbo Muffler on a 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Turbo Muffler on a 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Kind of related to my Premium Fuel question, I would like to put a Turbo Muffler on my '93 4.9 ...
    General_Motors_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sedan DeVille (White), '93 Sedan DeVille (Burgundy)

Turbo Muffler on a 4.9

Kind of related to my Premium Fuel question, I would like to put a Turbo Muffler on my '93 4.9 V-8.

I would like to let the engine breathe more and try to boost the milege a little better, but also would like to have a little more sound. There are times that I can't hear the engine run, especailly at an idle. I know that there are many Cadillac owners out there that just love a quiet car, but I could sure use some sound.

My question is, I want to make sure that there are no drawbacks on putting a Turbo Muffler on a 4.9.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: Turbo Muffler on a 4.9

Don't know about drawbacks, but the 4.x series engines sound great with a performance muffler. I wouldn't expect more than about a 3-5hp gain though unless you change the catalytic converter and exhaust pipe diameter. At least it will sound awesome.

Kdirk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition

There is a thread in the 4.1/4.5/4.9 engine forum that discusses performance upgrades/enhancements. Some very valuable stuff in those posts, including info about the exhaust. Search it out, it states the engine performance and fuel economy both benefit (at least a bit) by upgrading from the stock muffler.

Kdirk

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

I switched mine with a Hooker muffler (for Cameros) because I have "dual" exhausts from the muffler and it sounds and runs great.

encieno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Cadillac Deville, 2008 CTS4 w/ 3.6DI

i stuck a cheap turbo muffler from summit racing on my 4.5, sounds pretty good when your on it. idling is fairly quiet, but still louder than stock.

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

heres mine, its a 4.9 with a flowmaster 80 muffler with dual camaro tips

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

Turbo mufflers sound pretty good on a 4.9, and there aren't any drawbacks. For me, I went with a fiberglass filled "import style" muffler.

That's the style I have, not the same muffler. It sounds absolutely amazing - I have everyone from Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette owners complimenting me, all the way up to guys with CLK55 AMG's and Porsche Carrera 4S's saying my car sounds good. I recommend the OTTO Racing brand, however there are thousands of brands of this type of muffler to choose from so shop around.

As far as performance gains, you'll see more than 3-5hp from a muffler upgrade on a 4.9 car. It's a V8, not a 4 banger - 4 bangers can see 3-5hp from a muffler upgrade. I'd guesstimate around 12hp if I had to - It's a very noticeable difference. Upgrading to bigger pipes is probably not needed for most people - The stock is 2.75" mandrel bent, more than enough for an otherwise stock 4.9, however if you plan to do any major mods you'll find that the 2.75" pipe is a LITTLE too small for the motor.

Tony_Hanna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '92 Eldorado TC

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzal View Post
    heres mine, its a 4.9 with a flowmaster 80 muffler with dual camaro tips
    That's awesome! I'm running a similar muffler (80 series knockoff) and the same tips on my '92 ETC. I can't get over how good the 4.9 sounds with a chambered muffler. I swear it sounds better than the lt1 in my old z28. I can't wait to see how it sounds with a high flow cat.
    Tony

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

wikked_magick45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 4.9L

See here's what I'd like to know. I want dual outlets on my exhaust (91 Seville 4.9) and I have no cat. Will the shop put the muffler where the cat used to be to run the proper pipes?

Tony_Hanna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '92 Eldorado TC

Quote Originally Posted by wikked_magick45 View Post
    See here's what I'd like to know. I want dual outlets on my exhaust (91 Seville 4.9) and I have no cat. Will the shop put the muffler where the cat used to be to run the proper pipes?
    It depends on the shop. Some don't care, and if the converter is already off, they'll do anything you want. Some will only work on the area behind where the cat is supposed to be if it isn't there and some are so gun shy about fines that they won't touch one without a cat unless it's to put a new one on.
    I've had the best luck with just asking before hand. If they say no, then try a different shop. You'll find one eventually that will do it.
    Tony

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.