A/C Recharge
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, A/C Recharge in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Has anyone tried any of the R12 replacements to recharge their system? If so, what were the results?...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

A/C Recharge

Has anyone tried any of the R12 replacements to recharge their system? If so, what were the results?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RedGalant2k1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): N/A

Re: A/C Recharge

The R134a conversion works nicely, but sometimes (more often than not) you will regularly recharge the system. From what I've seen its typically yearly. You may still be able to find R12..but its exhorbitantly expensive per pound that your better off with the R134a conversion.

I was actually talking about the Freeze 12 type of replacements. These are supposed to just go in and be compatible with the R12 and R12 lubricant.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I am considering picking this up to redo mine
    http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ.../3/default.asp

That looks like a good deal. I saw similar kits on eBay but they came with Freeze 12 for about the same price as the kit you linked. I think I will give one of these kits a try too.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Personally I would stay away from those. If you dig a bit you'll see each of the replacement freon manufacturer bad mouth the other's stuff. Most of those replacements have flammable contents . If you look at eBay you should be able to find some affordable R-12 for sale. It took me several purchases and over couple of months but I now have enough to fully charge my system (once I get it all repaired).

Peteski

I am confused now. I checked under the hood and saw a label that says the car was converted to R134a, but the valve is still the R12 size. I will have to take it to a shop and let someone look at it. Then I can make a decision on the freon. If it has really been converted then a recharge is not expensive.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

If you can, I'd stick with R12...all you have to do is take an online, open book test to obtain a certificate to buy it. I have one, and I buy it, and it works way better than any car I've had with R134a refrigerant.

General_Motors_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sedan DeVille (White), '93 Sedan DeVille (Burgundy)

chazglenn3, My '93 DeVille has the R-12 and I recently needed some added. I went to a recommended shop and he installed a 12 oz can. It was only $20 for the can plus labor. If your car has R-12 I would stay with it, but if it has already been converted you will probably want to stick with it, if it proves to work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by awadecki View Post
    I'd stick with R12...all you have to do is take an online, open book test to obtain a certificate to buy it.
    awadecki, I have a business account with my local parts store and he said that he couldn't sell it to me without a license. I'm interested in the online test for a certificate that you have mentioned. Would you have a link handy?

davidjp3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320133619393

I'll let you know how it works when I use it. Hopefully there's no leaks in my system.

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

I changed the compressor in my 91 myself with my 90 parts car, and used an R12 replacement (I forget the name of it), it works just fine, is environmentally safe (no freon), and is even scented and green coloured so you can diagnose leaks. They even say it's colder than the original R12.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I have yet to get around to ordering my R12 replacement things, and as MachX said they are scented, well most that I have seen. So if it does leak into the cabin you will know and can take proper precautions / measures.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.