Service Engine Light Comming on.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Service Engine Light Comming on. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello everyone, Great site here and I look forward to being part of it. On to my problem, I got ...
    Darkknight550 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Service Engine Light Comming on.

Hello everyone, Great site here and I look forward to being part of it.

On to my problem, I got a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood with 120,000 miles on it about a week ago. I drove it for two days and then on my way to work the service engine light came on.

After I got to work, I poped the hood to check things over. The radiator cap was hissing and the engine was hot. I turned the car back on, the service engine light was off but the cooling fan for the engine wasn't on. So I turned on the ac knowing that it should kick on the smaller fan and nothing. This was about 3 days ago.

I was heading to work today and the service engine light came on about the same place it did last time. I went on to work and poped the hood. It was doing the same thing as before. The engine was hot, the radiator cap was hissing and none of the fans were on.

My dash light for engine temp is out so I don't know if thats coming on or not. The coolant level is were it should be hot and cold. After it cooled I pulled the radiator cap and the coolant level there was ok. I can't see any leaks from the water pump or anywhere else. The two times its done this have been on hotter days.

Would the engine overheating trip the service engine light? With my engine as hot as it was shouldn't at least one of fans came on?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FrankT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Re: Service Engine Light Comming on.

Darkknight,
    If your cooling fan is not comming ON with the A/C then its probley not comming ON when the engine temperature rises too high. The fan is controlled by a fan relay remove the relay and jumper the connections with a 30 amp fused jumper wire. If the fan comes on it may be a bad relay or a circuit going to the relay. If the fuse opens or the fan does not run ( provied you jumped the correct terminals ) you have a bad fan motor or shorted wiring. I need to know what DTC is setting in order to see if its related to the engine overheating, more than likey it is. Look in you owner manual and retrive and post the DTCs that are setting. You will need a wiring schematic to proberly diagnose the fan circuit, unless you are handy with a test light and DMM.
    Good luck .

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Did you check to see if your engine is giving any codes? If you dont know how you can search for a better explanation. Im pretty new to it too.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

push off and warmer on the climate controll with the key on engine off , report codes here (cant find my code breakout link )

Ok I just tried to pull the codes, I pressed off and warmer with the in but engine off. It cycled and then displayed 7.0, What do I do from here?

I belive I got the codes, It came up with E9.6 and E0.7.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

I think you have the same problem I did, so I went out and got a factory service manual off ebay, only cost was 31 dollars. I need to figure out that diagnostics.

Heres everything is displays after I enter the diagnostic mode.

E
    E13
    F
    F10
    F48
    FF
    F10
    Then it displays 7.0. Are these the codes I'm looking for?

Also the check engine light is now off but all of those codes were displayed before the 7.0 came on.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

i hope someone sees this and can help as the code stuff i have doesnt cover these codes , i guess things changed in 94

I posted this question on another forum and heres what I got about my codes.

E13 - Oxygen Sensor Not Ready:
    There is a short, open or a bad ground in the Oxygen Sensor circuit.

F10 - Outside Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Problem:
    Check your outside temperature, if it is not correct then it probably means the sensor is bad. You could just clean the plug and see if that helps. The Sensor is normally located around the front center of the radiator.

F48 - Refrigerant System Problem:
    Your Air conditioner probably needs charged. A Low Pressure Sensor Switch could be bad. It could also be a short in the circuit or bad connection to the BCM(Body Control Module)

My outside air temp is wrong. On my car it read -40c, so I'll need to replace that. What would the name of this part be? I looked on on autozone.com and couldn't find anything fitting the description.

I was thinking that my o2 sensor(s) weren't working right as I'm getting 11 mpg. Would the o2 sensor not ready come on because the o2 sensor(s) has failed or is it really a short or a bad ground? Should I replace both o2 sensors or would that make any difference?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.