4.9 deville boring sleeves
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 deville boring sleeves in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am new here and I have heard that good machine shops can bore the 4.9 sleeves out to a ...
    bluemancoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

4.9 deville boring sleeves

I am new here and I have heard that good machine shops can bore the 4.9 sleeves out to a 5.0 and use the northstar pistons? Any truth to this? Anyone done it? If so what does something like that cost. My problem is this. I got a 91 deville 4.9 from a guy who said it was kept inside since it was pulled. When I started the tear down of it, there was water in the sleeves. I'm not sure how bad the damage is, but while I'm there I thought I might as well ask about this. How would I know if I could just have them cleaned up? That would be fine with me too, I just wanted to know what I'm looking at price wise on the bigger piston set up. Thanks for any help on this.

Darren

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Re: 4.9 deville boring sleeves

Quote Originally Posted by bluemancoupe
    I am new here and I have heard that good machine shops can bore the 4.9 sleeves out to a 5.0 and use the northstar pistons? Any truth to this? Anyone done it? If so what does something like that cost. My problem is this. I got a 91 deville 4.9 from a guy who said it was kept inside since it was pulled. When I started the tear down of it, there was water in the sleeves. I'm not sure how bad the damage is, but while I'm there I thought I might as well ask about this. How would I know if I could just have them cleaned up? That would be fine with me too, I just wanted to know what I'm looking at price wise on the bigger piston set up. Thanks for any help on this.

Darren
    You're much better off buying new sleeves. Just cleaning up the old sleeves will not guarantee major oil burning.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

While it is possible to go to a 5.0 Im not sure if you could use the 4.6's parts. Im pretty sure the answer is no. If you really want to spend the money try to do the ASG Indy engine.

bluemancoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I definatly do not want to go with the ASG! No way no how for that price. New sleeves are $100 a pop so I was hoping for something a little cheaper than that as well. I might just be getting to the point of looking for another engine in the bone yard. I just wanted to exhast all possibilities first. Thanks for the advice so far.
    darren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.