1991 Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1991 Seville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am considering buying a '91 Seville that is for sale locally. I haven't gone to see the car in ...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

1991 Seville

I am considering buying a '91 Seville that is for sale locally. I haven't gone to see the car in person yet, but it sounds like a decent deal. The car looks to be in good condition on the outside and the seller says the interior is free of rips and tears. The seller also says the car runs great and there are no leaks from the motor or transmission. The A/C even blows cold, I'm told. My concern is that the car has almost 230K miles on it. What has been the lifespan of the 4.9L engine and transmission? Does this sound like a good buy at $1000? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: 1991 Seville

Leave mileage alone, it is an old car. Despite a 4.9 can last virtually forever, the tranny and a lot of conventional stuff will require quite a bit time and money.

So then, for the car to be in good running condition at 230K miles, would it be safe to assume that this car likely received proper maintenance like tranny and suspension repairs?

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    So then, for the car to be in good running condition at 230K miles, would it be safe to assume that this car likely received proper maintenance like tranny and suspension repairs?
    These are the questions I would ask the seller or check wherever possible myself. Waterpump, fuel pump, EGR system, distributor, brake lines , etc. all should be checked out.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    These are the questions I would ask the seller or check wherever possible myself. Waterpump, fuel pump, EGR system, distributor, brake lines , etc. all should be checked out.
    Good advice.

My '91 DeVille 4.9 has 233,000 miles on it, and it runs beautifully. I had the transmission rebuilt at 214,000 miles and have done some other repairs, but all the accessories work and the A/C blows cold. I drove it nearly 4,000 miles from Oregon to Des Moines for the club meet last month and had no problems. I bought the car for $999 with 200,000 miles on it two years ago, and I have no idea what the service history was before.

If the car checks out mechanically and drives well (and you like it), I say go ahead.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

As Huf said, the 4.9's range is virtually limitless. It's just a great engine. But as gdwriter knows, the weak spot in these cars is the trans. If this one hasn't been rebuilt, it will probably need it before long. Check the trouble codes and watch for the E39 (VCC engagement) code. That's the first sign of a failing trans. If there are no codes, drive the car at varying speeds for 30 minutes and check again.

Check the oil for milkshake color or lumpy consistency (head gaskets) or oil slicks in the radiator (intake or head gaskets). If the coolant is the color of fresh brewed coffee, that's very good. It means the system sealer has been used.

Other big $$$ repairs that come to mind would be A/C, struts all around, ABS. But that's really about it. These cars were over engineered in their day, and hold up very well.

Great! Thanks for the tips. I plan to try to check the car out either this evening or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Okay...that car was a little too tired for my tastes. Not to mention that when I try to sell a car, the LEAST I do is wash the thing. This car hadn't seen soap and water in a very long time. The interior was dirty as well and all four of the Bose amps were dead. The seller also said that he didn't know that the tranny had ever been addressed. On the bright side, I found a 1991 White Diamond STS that I am going to pick up tomorrow.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Cool! Best of luck with the new ride. That white diamond is a very sexy color.
    Post some pics when you get it.

Picked up the car today. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I wanted the car. It needs struts (Service CCR System) and the A/C needs to be recharged. The front seats are worn (drivers worse than passengers) abd it needs an alignment (could be related to the bad struts). I'll get some pics up later (wife is out of town with the camera).

HUF

Picked up the car today. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I wanted the car. It needs struts (Service CCR System) and the A/C needs to be recharged. The front seats are worn (drivers worse than passengers) abd it needs an alignment (could be related to the bad struts). I'll get some pics up later (wife is out of town with the camera).
    You can put new passive struts, or leave the old ones. Servise CCR means they were turned to passive mode. You can get rid of the message if you want to.

It feels and sounds a little "clunky" to me. Could be loose bolts I suppose. I haven't had time to crawl over her with a fine tooth comb yet. Did you ever replace the Bose Gold in your car? Only one of the speaker/amp units is working in mine. What is the procedure to disable the message?

HUF

It feels and sounds a little "clunky" to me. Could be loose bolts I suppose. I haven't had time to crawl over her with a fine tooth comb yet. Did you ever replace the Bose Gold in your car? Only one of the speaker/amp units is working in mine. What is the procedure to disable the message?
    All my speakers died one after another a few years ago. Replacing BOSE is a headache (at least for me), so I left them alone.

Sway bar bushings, ball joints etc. should be checked.

Yeah, I rarely listen to the radio anyway, so I'll not worry about it for now. I'll get the car up on jackstands this week and check the suspension out. The PO was going on and on about how the motor in the car was a 70K mile unit from a '94 and how the '91 didn't have the 4.9L engine available. I didn't say anything

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

So you skipped the 230k mile '91 Seville and bought a white diamond '91 STS instead? Lucky bastard, I'm so jealous!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.