4.9 Problems at Wide Open Throttle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 Problems at Wide Open Throttle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've got a 91 Deville with 210,000 kms whatever that equates to in miles, and it runs fairly well and ...
    97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

4.9 Problems at Wide Open Throttle

I've got a 91 Deville with 210,000 kms whatever that equates to in miles, and it runs fairly well and all, tuned up correctly, but at WOT when the engine is warm it wants to give out. I changed the fuel filter, checked the pressure which is between 38 and 42 PSI, cleaned the throttle body, changed the TPS (now has a new one), new cap and rotor, good plugs and wires, and I'm stumped. It's smooth by crusing speeds but when I want to accelerate sometimes I can hardly get it up to 50 MPH, unless I let off the gas a bit then it begins to pick up speed- slowly. When floored, it surges- all of a sudden wants to go but then nearly stalls. It keeps doing this and I can't figure out what's wrong- until I change my head gaskets on my 97 Eldorado, this is my only form of transportation and I don't want to end up stuck somewhere.

Any ideas on what's causing this problem at WOT? All comments are welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 4.9 Problems at Wide Open Throttle

Restricted exhaust. Cat. Converter coming apart internally. A good muffler shop can determine if Cat. is the culprit.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Restricted exhaust. Cat. Converter coming apart internally. A good muffler shop can determine if Cat. is the culprit.
    Could be. A bad one would rattle when you hit it with something.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Found the problem- the simplest thing you can imagine that I overlooked- dirt in the fuel tank around the pick-up screen/sock/whatever it's called. Changed the tank (since the other one was rusty) and cleaned the pick-up with carb-cleaner and an air hose and the car's working perfectly now- no hesitation, no bogging, just pure Cadillac power.

Thanks for the replies.

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

I had a similar problem in my 93 Deville. Solution (after replacing the FPR and fuel filter which had no effect), was to replace the entire gas tank, fuel pump included. Cost was about $50 for the entire assembly from the junk yard.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.