Changed PCV Valve at 98k Miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Changed PCV Valve at 98k Miles in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Decided to check my PCV valve since I wasnt sure when it was changed last, Usually I am not the ...
    behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Changed PCV Valve at 98k Miles

Decided to check my PCV valve since I wasnt sure when it was changed last, Usually I am not the person who fixes things that "are not broken" but with the pcv being cheap and easy I decided to do it anyway. I have just over 98k miles on my 93, The PCV was burried in dirt and took a little convincing to remove on both ends. To my surprise it appears to be the OEM valve marked AC ROCHESTER TYPE CV 774. FSM says to service it every 30k, mine appears to gone through 3 service intervals lol. I need to go over the paperwork from years ago when the previous owner had dealer service it while still under warranty and see if they mention replacing it, maybe the dealer replaced it with a delco part and not a aftermarket part like I found at the local parts store.

When I pulled it out their was actually a few pieces of hair covered in oil that came out with it. It still rattles a bit, but not as much as the new one did. It is very discolored and has some heavy buildup on the canister aswell.

Should I clean the metal pipe going from the pcv to the throttle body or any other parts, or should it clean itself overtime? I replaced it since the idle is a bit rough at times and I go through about 2-3 qts of oil every 4000 miles but have never seen one drop of oil drip from the car

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rstewart65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Deville

Re: Changed PCV Valve at 98k Miles

It can't hurt to clean out that tube. I've seen them on many cars where it is loaded up with goop, so it can't possibly pull the fumes like it should. The PCV valve is a pretty simple device, just a one way valve basically. I've always been told the service interval is kinda like an O2 sensor, over time it's bound to get gummed up, but there is no real good way to test it, an it's cheaper to just change it than spend time checking it out. I always try to spray a bit of carb cleaner thru the valve when I'm under the hood. Also make sure that it fits tight in the old rubber grommet. A vacuum leak there can effect the running.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.