95 Deville No Spark
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 95 Deville No Spark in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm trying to help my buddy with his 1995 Deville. The car won't start. He states that the last few ...
    gil76h is offline Cadillac Owners Member

95 Deville No Spark

I'm trying to help my buddy with his 1995 Deville. The car won't start. He states that the last few weeks it didn't start all the time. Now It won't start at all. I can smell the fuel through the exhaust pipe, so I know that it's not the fuel pump. I pulled a spark plug wire and grounded it with a screwdiver to the car and NO SPARK. I noticed that the ignition coil is inside the distributor. Do I have to replace the WHOLE distributor??? Can you replace the coil only?? Is there an IGNITER "CARD" like some other cars have?? I have checked all the fuses that indicate distributor and ignition. Any suggestions???? PLEASE HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 95 Deville No Spark

The Cad 4.9 uses a standard GM HEI distributor, first things I'd check are the cap and rotor, HEI's are known for burning up the contacts, especially if a cheap cap and rotor were installed. After that check the electronic ignition module in the bottom of the distributor, I always carry a spare with me in my HEI equipped cars. They don't often give a problem but when they do it's usually 20 miles from nowhere after everything is closed and in the worst weather imaginable. If those check out then move to the coil. The coil is easily removed from the distributor cap. Pretty standard stuff, if you don't have a Cadillac service manual to show the distributor one for most late 70's GM's should work. I'm willing to bet it's one of those or a combination.

LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

when mine quit, i wasn't getting any spark either. i checked all the cap and rotor stuff... it was charred, but they do just all of a sudden go out like that. maybe if it's been sitting for while. the coil, maybe... anyhow, cadillac told me that my timing chain was broken tho they'd never seen it before. maybe his car jumped timing? or would there still be spark?

Hippie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by LacSeville
    maybe his car jumped timing? or would there still be spark?
    If it had jumped a tooth on the chain you'd still have spark but at the wrong time and your valve events would be out of synch with the crankshaft as well. If the timing chain broke completely, which I have heard of but never seen personally, your cam and distributor wouldn't be turning. The only one I had ever heard of was on a drag car with a stick launching at high RPM, he also broke the camshaft, block and had numerous connecting rods sticking through the oil pan ! I don't know how close the valve to piston clearance is on these but on most engines you'd have valves hitting pistons as well, or more correctly pistons hitting valves since the valves wouldn't be moving. Either way not a good thing.

gil76h is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How do you check the igmition module or the coil to mkae sure they are both working???

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

coil

turn 4 screws and reove cap after unplugging distrib

connect omh meter to the outside pins , if open circuit replace coil , if around "0.1" resistance value then its OK

next put one lead on the center button on the cap , then probe each pin on the cap connect just testes , should get a resistance value on one of them , if they all go open circuit then coil is bad

LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

from what i've heard, it is supposed to be a non interferance motor... so that's a ray of hope. oh well, the motor is out of my car and awaiting an overhaul.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.